Answered

What can the ethernet ports be used for on a Connect using wifi?

• 4 February 2019
  • 7 replies

Badge +1
.. as the title says..?
I have now connected my "Sonos Connect" over the wifi instead of using SonosNet from another device due to drop outs..(longer story, not relevant at this point)
But now i cant use the ethernet ports on the connect as a switch?
Can they be used when it´s on wifi somehow?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 4 February 2019, 21:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

They could be used as a WiFi extender....with the understanding that they are already relatively slow, and the use of the connected device has the potential of disconnecting any music stream that you’re listening to. They’re designed for daisy chaining Sonos devices, basically, and really shouldn’t be used for any high bandwidth devices.
I have now connected my "Sonos Connect" over the wifi instead of using SonosNet from another device due to drop outs..(longer story, not relevant at this point)
But now i cant use the ethernet ports on the connect as a switch?
Can they be used when it´s on wifi somehow?

No. In WiFi mode the Ethernet ports are inactive.

(I'm rather bemused that @Airgetlam's should be marked as 'Best Answer'. A great answer, but not for the OP's question. ;))
No. In WiFi mode the Ethernet ports are inactive.
I honestly didn’t know that was the case with the Connect, so thanks for that useful info Ratty..?
Badge +1
Hi, thanks for the answers..
I also think that Ratty are on to something here.. due to what i´m experiencing now...
But Airgetlam, if you have a way to enable them i would like to know how!
@ratty isn't really 'on to something'. He has just stated the fact that the Ethernet ports on any Sonos component are only active and usable for connecting other devices if the Sonos system is in SonosNet mode. As far as I am aware there is nothing you can do to make the ports active when the system is in wifi mode.
Indeed, my use of "wifi" wasn't what I really meant, I meant LAN, in which case you could connect another device to the second port. ratty's knowledge is substantially deeper than mine, as is John B's. My apologies to the OP for the misinformation.
Badge +1
No worries! Thanks anyway 🆒