Answered

Watch items on TV (with BEAM) from MacBook

My SONY TV only has one spare HDMI port.  This used to have a Google ChromeCast attached, which has had to be removed in order to plug in the BEAM.  

How can I watch things from my MacBook on my TV now that I am unable to cast them?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 8 January 2021, 18:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Your Sony TV has only a single HDMI port, which is the ARC port?

There are two options that pop to mind. First, I would investigate if this TV has an optical port, and if so, use that to feed the adapter that came with the Beam. There would be zero loss in fidelity.

Second, I’d look at a rather simple HDMI switch, that you can apply to your system. 

Hi Bruce,  

Many thanks for such a prompt reply!

My husband and I have had a good, second, look at the back of the TV using a torch, but cannot find the ARC port.  I should say though, that it is difficult to see as there is not much spare cable to turn the tv around, so it may already be in use.

Available ports appear to be limited to 2 USB’s and a LAN.  With this in mind, and based on what you said above, would my best option be to get a double HMDI adaptor to fit the HMDI port I’m currently using for the BEAM?  This way I could plug in both BEAM and ChromeCast.

Christine

I’d certainly consider that, although I might look for a three or four port switch, in case you choose to get another source. But if your BEAM is currently connected with an HDMI cable, and it is working, then it is plugged in to the ARC port already. 

What else is connected to your TV? For instance, if you have an Apple TV, you could easily use AirPlay 2 to send a signal from your Mac to the Apple TV, which would then show on your Sony. 

Which Sony Tv is it? Looking a manual on the internet would certainly help figure out the best course of action, since there multiple ways of potentially helping resolve this conundrum. 

I’ve checked out the double HMDI adaptor but the ones I have seen appear to only let me switch between the Beam and the input from my Mac.  Whereas, ideally, I would like to watch input from my Mac on the TV with the Beam operating at the same time.

I also have a Humax plugged into the TV.  The TV is a SONY model KDL-40WE660.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If I look it up your TV indeed only has two HDMI-ports.

That’s right 106rallye.  I have the Humax in one and the BEAM in the other.

So, if you get a three or four port version, the Beam can stay connected to the ARC out port, and all other devices connect to the switch, which would then feed into the remaining port.

However, I do note that there is an optical output, at least on the pictures I’m looking at. You could just connect the adapter that came with the Beam, and use that optical output, and have the two HDMI ports for whatever devices you chose.

You are a star!  Thank you so much for your advice, it’s much appreciated Bruce.

I have 3 thick manuals for the TV - in a number of languages, excluding English.  It would really help me a lot if you could describe whereabouts I should be able to find the optical output on the SONY. ( I’m also wondering if it is already in use).

Heh. Completely understand. And the picture I’m looking at isn’t as clear as I’d like so I can’t zoom in enough, but I think it says Digital Audio Out (Optical) on it, and is to the right of Component In, and above Audio Out. 

It shouldn’t be in use, I’d think, unless for some reason you were connecting a video tape camera to it, and even then it’s unlikely that particular port would be in use. Much more likely it would connect to the component connections next to it. It’s a small square port, which has a built in cover, and requires the optical cable to be inserted in a specific orientation. If it doesn’t snap in, it’s likely you don’t have it oriented properly. I’ve ruined a couple of cables by trying to force it. It isn’t a great design, IMHO, but since one you’ve attached the cable, you have close to zero reason to mess with it. Of course, the other end of the cable gets attached to the adapter that comes with the Beam, which then plugs in to the Beam

I don’t recommend trying to insert the optical cable while you can’t see the port. It is much better to pull the TV away from the wall, and insert it while you can see it. It isn’t as easy as a normal RCA connection. 

Once the Beam is connected, you should check all settings on both the TV and any device feeding the TV to ensure that they are set to send Dolby Digital only. Don’t choose ‘best’, or DTS, or even Dolby Digital Plus. Only Dolby Digital. 

At that point, you can connect whatever you want to the two HDMI ports. 

Thank you once again for all your advice and the time taken to research on my behalf.  

I will wait until we have daylight, and the time to properly look at the back of our TV before attempting to connect anything.

Kind regards,

Christine

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

For future reference, I think you can download the manual for your TV here: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4689/46896421M.pdf

She did say ‘I have 3 thick manuals for the TV ‘….. ;)

Having had an older Sony before, I completely understand. I recall mine was in three or four languages, and around 100 pages, and not as easy to read as I’d like. All the information was there, just densely packed, and never where I expected it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Must have gotten the “excluding English” the wrong way round… ;-) 

Lol. There are so many languages in those things, sometimes it’s hard to tell. Plus they’re in something like 8 or 6 point type, and oddly formatted in two columns  per page….just a mess, IMHO. 

Thank you for the link to see my tv manual in English 106rallye.  That is a great help.

A diagram in the online manual has confirmed that we were trying the appropriate tv port, but the BEAM adaptor does not fit.  My brother is technically minded so I have asked him to search the net for a suitable adaptor.