Want to build my first DIY speakers (likely TriTrix) but have questions

• 23 July 2019
  • 1 reply

First, my room has 18' high ceilings so it has been difficult finding something that works. I first had my 5.1 setup with some Yamaha's, then switched to a few different soundbars. I have decided to go back to an A/V receiver but likely a 3.0 or 3.1 setup. I don't really like the look of the Yamaha speakers so I was wondering if I could repurpose them, maybe build a center channel out of them, or rear surround cubes. I'm no audiophile but have done woodworking and computer engineering most of my life. I can't believe I never thought of making my own speakers.

So, I basically want to know if the TriTrix speakers will greatly improve our ability to hear the vocals while watching our family shows. It is always a struggle. I assume mostly due to my room (I'll attach a photo). I am not opposed to treatments to help with sound but I am not sure it would pass the WAF. Second, what can I do with the midrange speakers from the Yamaha NS-AP7800's as far as additional DIY speakers in this same setup (or otherwise).

My plan for the TriTrix is to buy the speaker only package and make the speakers distressed white to match my entertainment center under the TV but with dark Walnut baffles.

1 reply

First, my room has 18' high ceilings so it has been difficult finding something that works. I first had my 5.1 setup with some Yamaha's, then switched to a few different soundbars. I have decided to go back to an A/V receiver but likely a 3.0 or 3.1 setup. I don't really like the look of the Yamaha speakers so I was wondering if I could repurpose them, maybe build a center channel out of them, or rear surround cubes. I'm no audiophile but have done woodworking and computer engineering most of my life. I can't believe I never thought of making my own speakers.

So, I basically want to know if the TriTrix speakers will greatly improve our ability to hear the vocals while watching our family shows. It is always a struggle. I assume mostly due to my room (I'll attach a photo). I am not opposed to treatments to help with sound but I am not sure it would pass the WAF. Second, what can I do with the midrange speakers from the Yamaha NS-AP7800's as far as additional DIY speakers in this same setup (or otherwise).

My plan for the TriTrix is to buy the speaker only package and make the speakers distressed white to match my entertainment center under the TV but with dark Walnut baffles.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with Sonos. Perhaps you should ask on a speaker building site.