Question

Volume Control with 6 In-Ceiling speakers and Amp

• 14 February 2020
  • 2 replies

I recently purchased 3 pairs of Sonos In-ceiling speakers for a total of 6 speakers. I also purchased one Sonos Amp, which I know I can connect all 6 speakers to the Amp.

However, the 6 Speakers will be spread across three open rooms with a pair of speakers in each room. I don’t mind having everything on one zone to play music, but I would like to control the volume for each room or pair of speakers.

Therefore, I’m thinking about ordering three of the following:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8243

Then I could connect each pair of in-ceiling speakers to its own volume controller and then have all the volume controllers connect back to the Amp.

I’m pretty sure this will work, but a confirmation would be great. Also, please let me know if there is a better way or if someone knows that this wouldn’t work with my setup. Any advise is appreciated.

Basically, I’m asking if this will work? If not, any suggestions will be appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @eautomation , welcome to the community.

I don’t have a specific brand I can recommend, however, I have recognized others in the community are able to install impedance matching speaker selector switch to toggle one pair off and just leave one pair playing successfully.

Perhaps others are able to jump in and offer any other recommendations.

I am working on a similar project in the next few weeks. The first thing I will ensure is that you toggle the selector on the volume control to match your speaker impedance. Ideally you want to send no less than 8ohm to your amp. I am also purchasing this:https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13727.

From your amp, you run one of the 4-conductor cable to each location for a total of 3 parallel runs. This is terminated on the input side of your VC. The output is divided into L/R channel and that goes to your pairs of speakers. Do same for the remaining 2 rooms. I generally stick to a color convention where red/black pair is ur left channel(red +ve, black -ve) and white/green pair is right channel(white +ve, green _ve). Hope this helps.