Answered

Virgin Media...AGAIN!!

"SONOS - Have you sorted out the problems that people are obviously having the the Virgin Media Superhub 3? It seems neither you nor VM are actually providing a solution. Just pointing people at a link with a complex work around is not satisfactory."

icon

Best answer by heavysoul 3 June 2019, 09:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

ArsenalJim,

My son in laws Dad is using Sonos Ones with a white coloured VM superhub v3 box (300 mbps broadbands) and he’s not had any issues with the router, as far as I’m aware ... his speakers all seem to be working fine whenever I visit their home and he’s not said anything to me.

He's a Villa supporter though, so perhaps that’s the reason why! ha ha

Are you sure that you do not have 'other issues' with your particular network setup. You have not provided much (any) detail about your setup, nor what things you have tried so far, to resolve whatever the problem is you are having.

A lot more detail is needed here, I think.
It would helpful if you could reference the problems and solution link you're referring to. Others in the community who aren't already familiar will have no idea what you're talking about.
Badge +1
Well I'm another that continues to have a problem with Virgin Media's Hub 3!

The only way that I can play music to my Sonos speakers (2 x Play 3s and a Play 1 - none of which are directly connected to my Hub 3) - without tracks stopping/skipping - is by paying and playing from Apple Music or Spotify Connect.

Last year I spoke with with Sonos an they went through various checked with my setup - including having one of my Sonos connected by ethernet - but they couldn't solve the problem. The only solution they could make - other than paying for Apple Music or Spofity - was to upload all my music to Google Play and play my music from there.

When I originally got my first Sonos speakers, I had the VM Hub 2 - and never ever had an issue. It was only switching to the Hub 3 when I had a speed upgrade that the issues started.

The Hub is in the lounge from where I play most of my music - but then I get a strong wifi signal all over my house with excellent speed!

So the issue does seem to be with the Hub 3. I've tried changing channels etc... but as yet it all just remains a big frustrating mystery!!

I keep looking on the forums in the hope that there is something else I can try... hence why I'm back on here again!
Can I check my understanding? Are you saying that streamed music plays fine but locally stored music does not?

If so, where is it stored?
Badge +1
Can I check my understanding? Are you saying that streamed music plays fine but locally stored music does not?

That's correct. Streamed from Apple Music, Spotify and music I have uploaded to Google Play - all play fine without a hitch.

When playing locally from iPhone, I don't usually get past playing one track without it stopping.

I've just tried separating my 2.4 from 5GHz to ensure that my iPhone is on the same 2.4 channel ... but after having gone through setting Sonos up on the 'new' network, I'm having the same problem. I've also changed channels - 1, 6 and 11 - and still it stops before playing one track in full!!!

AAGGHHHHH!
Badge +1

If so, where is it stored?

Any other settings changes I should consider?
OK. First thing is that playing from a mobile device is inherently the least robust option on Sonos. If you put your your music on a NAS drive your problems are over.

Leaving that aside, do you have any non-Sonos Airplay enabled speakers in your home? I haven't kept up to date with this issue, but this certainly was causing problems in playing from iPhones at one point.
Badge +1
OK. First thing is that playing from a mobile device is inherently the least robust option on Sonos. If you put your your music on a NAS drive your problems are over.

Leaving that aside, do you have any non-Sonos Airplay enabled speakers in your home? I haven't kept up to date with this issue, but this certainly was causing problems in playing from iPhones at one point.

I do have a Denon AVR which is enabled for Airplay. It's switched off, but then I guess it's there in the background for me to select. I do have similar problems when playing that route also... whereas playing via bluetooth to the Denon is absolutely fine!

I will try disabling Airplay on the Denon - if I can work out how to do it!!!

Will let you know if that helps. Otherwise I might have to explore the NAS drive route... although I've no experience at all in that field!
Is your music stored on a computer and synched to phone or just on phone?
Badge +1
Music is on MacBook Air, iPhone and iPad.

When playing from my iPhone, I am playing from music held locally on the iPhone as opposed to playing it from my Mac via 'Music Library'.

I've had a look at my Denon options and can't see a way of disabling Airplay!
Do you have the Sonos Music Library set up? Why not play from that, using phone just as a controller? Admittedly Mac has to be on. That's why a NAS is best solution
Badge +1
Do you have the Sonos Music Library set up? Why not play from that, using phone just as a controller? Admittedly Mac has to be on. That's why a NAS is best solution

Ah, I used to! I recently wiped my Mac and started from fresh (my Mac is 7 years old and had started to slow a little).

I'm just setting Sonos Music Library back up, so will see how that goes.

Cheers for your help and suggestions.
OK. The point of failure is clearly between the phone and the router. Streaming from the internet works fine because the router receives a reliable stream of data. Evidently that isn't true for the music on the phone.

Let us know how it goes.
There's also the ongoing iOS issue. Pay particular attention to the information in the box at the top.
There's also the ongoing iOS issue. Pay particular attention to the information in the box at the top.
Thanks Bruce - this issue has clearly expanded since I last looked.
If only Apple would fix the issue they introduced with iOS 11.... Sonos has been trying to deal with this issue for quite a while, without any perceived movement from Apple. I feel that pain, I've had professional dealings with Apple myself, and found them extremely reticent to make any changes to what they've done, although in other areas for me, not in this area.

While I turned off my AirPlay 2 devices for a while, I ultimately stopped playing from my iOS devices completely, and just started using AirPlay 2 when necessary, rather than the Sonos controller.

In fact, I'm listening to a ball game right now, using AirPlay 2 from my iPad to a pair of PLAY:5s. TuneIn Premium to the rescue...

All my music now comes from my NAS, since I ran out of space on my Mac's HD for it all 🙂
Badge +1

Interesting... I hadn't seen that.

I can't see a date for how long the issue has been going on for.

I have tried quitting all apps other than Sonos - and also turning off Bluetooth - but still can't get past one track without it stopping. I can't turn Airplay off on my Denon AVR - so the only option I have there really is taking my Denon off the network altogether, which I will try later.
Badge +1
OK. The point of failure is clearly between the phone and the router. Streaming from the internet works fine because the router receives a reliable stream of data. Evidently that isn't true for the music on the phone.

Let us know how it goes.

I now have my Sonos Music Library set back up on my Mac - and so far so good 👍🏼

Just so annoying that I can't simply play direct from my iPhone. I will take my Denon off my network later and try again to take the Airplay issue out of the equation.
OK. Note from the article referenced by @Airgetlam that the issue with iPhones is broader than just Airplay.

I understand what you are saying, but there isn't much more that Sonos can do to make this more robust. Sonos was first designed to work with a music library, then adapted to accommodate streaming, and last of all to allow play from phones - because it has to be offered, not because it is a good idea. It's a networked home multiroom system in which the app is a controller, not a music player.

I hope the music library continues to work well for you.
Badge +1
@John B @Airgetlam

UPDATE guys!

Having taken my Denon AVR off my network, I am now on track 11 of an album with no stopping or skipping... pointing towards Airplay on the Denon being the problem.

I don't need the Denon permanently connected anyway.... so problem possibly solved (not wanting to tempt fate)!!

So thank you guys.... really appreciate your help and pointing me in the right direction!!
That's even better news. Thanks for posting back to let us know.