Question

Using Sonos Port

• 7 September 2019
  • 4 replies

My main music system was: Naim CD player, Naim Integrated amp, Thiel floor-standing speakers. The CD player just died and is expensive to replace/repair. I also have a Sonos Beam for the TV and a pair of Sonos Ones in another room. I have ripped all my CDs and increasingly use the computer to stream the music to the Sonos speakers.

Can the new Sonos Port rescue the orphaned amplifier and passive speakers? Is the following route feasible: music played from the computer via Sonos app > Sonos Port > Naim amp > Thiel speakers?

Any advice is very welcome. Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Can the new Sonos Port rescue the orphaned amplifier and passive speakers? Is the following route feasible: music played from the computer via Sonos app > Sonos Port > Naim amp > Thiel speakers?
Yes, very likely, depending on connections/adaptors/input levels. The Connect/Port etc are intended to be connected to an amplifier/AV receiver. Once connected, you can stream your music to your main system - works well 😀
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Just to be clear: the music wil not be “played from the computer via Sonos app”, but played from the computer by the Sonos Port, that is controlled by the Sonos app. The app is just a remote. The Port (or the old Connect) is designed to do exactly what you seem to want from ir.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Yes. I’ve been using the Connect this way for years. Computer (sonos) > Connect > DAC (optional) > integrated amp > passive speakers. The port will do what the connect does, act as a pre amp.
Many thanks for the reassurance!!