Answered

Using Headphones w/ Amp

• 14 July 2020
  • 2 replies

I currently have my record player connected up to the Sonos Amp and wired speakers off the amp. It is in the same open space as the TV and I'm looking for a way to listen to my record through headphones. Is there a way to use Bluetooth or wired headphones with the Amp?

icon

Best answer by ratty 14 July 2020, 15:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Not without some kind of step-down converter. The Amp’s speaker level outputs would be much too strong to feed wired headphones or a Bluetooth transmitter directly. In any case you presumably wouldn’t want to listen to the main speakers at the same time so in addition to a step-down you’d need some kind of speaker switch. All rather messy,

If you only wanted to listen to the turntable on the headphones it would be straightforward to put a Y-splitter cable in the line between the TT and the Amp. This could feed either a BT transmitter or a small headphone amp. 

If you wanted to play any music streamed to your Sonos through the headphones the best solution would be a Port (+ a BT transmitter or a headphone amp).

Not without some kind of step-down converter. The Amp’s speaker level outputs would be much too strong to feed wired headphones or a Bluetooth transmitter directly. In any case you presumably wouldn’t want to listen to the main speakers at the same time so in addition to a step-down you’d need some kind of speaker switch. All rather messy,

If you only wanted to listen to the turntable on the headphones it would be straightforward to put a Y-splitter cable in the line between the TT and the Amp. This could feed either a BT transmitter or a small headphone amp. 

If you wanted to play any music streamed to your Sonos through the headphones the best solution would be a Port (+ a BT transmitter or a headphone amp).

Thanks. All seems to be either complicated or expensive. The Mrs will just have to wait until it's logical to get a port.