Question

Using Echo Dot with Sonos Line In

Show first post

61 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Dots are finally shipping again (backorder is slowly clearing) and I got one this past weekend. I have it connected to the line in on the CONNECT:AMP in the master bedroom. Room settings are set to automatically route the line in to the master bedroom Sonos zone (not breaking grouping for when I have that also grouped to the master bathroom). With experimentation, I found that setting the line in sensitivity to 8 (portable speaker) made the Dot at max volume be about the same volume as when I play music directly from Sonos. Since I use the Sonos app to control volume, I figured it was easiest to just leave the Dot at max and I don't have to keep adjusting the volume depending on what service is acting as the audio source. I also configured the Dot to play its tone when voice response is activated, so that Sonos has always woken up and switched to the line-in input before the Dot says anything meaningful, so there is no clipping on the start.

I've played some music this way, with the Dot playing from Amazon. I've also got Amazon linked directly in Sonos (though it is not my primary streaming service -- that's di.fm). It sounded fairly good, though I wasn't really trying to do any critical listening at the time. I got the Dot to experiment more with home automation control, and for asking it questions and not really for voice control of music (which other than during a party, I find to be pretty pointless). Alexa seems to do okay when you speak direct commands to it (so play , turn on lights, etc) but when asking it questions (other than "what is the current weather"), the reply is pretty much always "I didn't understand that question", which is rather disappointing.
Let me rephrase... Their inability or unwillingness to move quickly to integrate with amazon echo, rather than their decision. I am making my comment based on the actions that I have seen, rather than an explicit comment from them. Echo has been on the market for 16 months, and their response has been to either to not reply to requests, or state that they do not discuss future developments.

Six months ago the comment was, "We don't share a road map or timeline for development, so for specific requests like Amazon Echo integration, there isn't much to share." Nothing has changed since then.

Sonos was an awesome solution two years ago, and still could be. The market has moved on, and now with the latest release from Amazon there are other solutions, that will meet almost all of my requirements, with a better user experience and with a lower cost. Unfortunately I think Sonos has buried their head in the sand.

So they haven't refused anything at all? Your post was pure speculation brought on by frustration at Sonos' longstanding, oft-published policy of not speaking about current or future development until ready for public beta testing, rather than any actual statement?

OK, just checking.

Unfortunately, in my two years of SONOS experience, UPSTATEMIKE is probably right on target. SONOS, once led the whole market concept but their failure to evolve or even respond well to customer suggestions leads me to believe they just don't care.

I'm still waiting for user profiles and security ... Why should the kids be able to select my bedroom to play their music at 2am?
Badge
so anything about a dot and play 1? saw this youtube video, which sucks, cause it made it seem like you can connect the play 1 to the dot, but as you can see, the play 1 doesnt even have power going to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bARbx4I3xZY
so anything about a dot and play 1? saw this youtube video, which sucks, cause it made it seem like you can connect the play 1 to the dot, but as you can see, the play 1 doesnt even have power going to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bARbx4I3xZY

Sonos recently announced a partnership with Amazon that will bringing Echo based Voice Control to all Sonos speakers. Invite-only beta test later this year followed by public beta and release in 2017.

http://press-us.sonos.com/134980-sonos-with-partners-and-industry-leaders-ushers-in-new-era-of-connected-home-listening
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Well spotted, but the camera cuts, and someone connects the power lead then ;O)
Funny how all sonos advertising never shows the power lead, they like to claim it is wireless, which pedantically it is not 😛......suppose it keeps the magic "look no wires" alive. You could argue its misleading I suppose..
Show me one advertisement for any electrically powered product that shows a power cord. Just one. You won't find it. Every advertiser hides power cords. Hell, I bet every wife or interior designer tries to hide power cords. Pedantic? Yeah, that's one word for it . . .
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
Show me one advertisement for any electrically powered product that shows a power cord. Just one. You won't find it. Every advertiser hides power cords. Hell, I bet every wife or interior designer tries to hide power cords. Pedantic? Yeah, that's one word for it . . .

In the same "Sonos & Alexa Voice Control " video where the Sonos has no power cord, the Amazon Dot has a power cord.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Well spotted, but the camera cuts, and someone connects the power lead then ;O)
Funny how all sonos advertising never shows the power lead, they like to claim it is wireless, which pedantically it is not 😛......suppose it keeps the magic "look no wires" alive. You could argue its misleading I suppose..

Depends how childish you want to seem I suppose

In the same "Sonos & Alexa Voice Control " video where the Sonos has no power cord, the Amazon Dot has a power cord.

So a Sonos marketing video hides the power cord of the Sonos product? And your point?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
.[/quote] In the same "Sonos & Alexa Voice Control " video where the Sonos has no power cord, the Amazon Dot has a power cord.[/quote]

Even better spotted, surely he has made his point, even in the same video. I think because it is a wireless speaker, the power lead becomes more important as its the only tether, people might think you can put them anywhere, you don't have to channel walls out or add extra power sockets etc....
How well do you think an Amazon Echo Dot would work feeding the line-in on a Sonos Connect?
I have rigged an Echo Dot to my Connect:Amp and it works perfectly. The System auto-switches between TV and Connect:amp depending on the most recent sensed source.

For example, if you were listening to the TV output and you prompted the Dot with an 'Alexa' call, it would switch to the Amp. To switch back to TV, simply press the volume control on your TV remote OR change the channel on your say Set-top box.