Answered

Using chrome cast Audio to connect Sonos to existing home stereo

• 18 November 2017
  • 3 replies

I use Sonos connect Amps to supply music to wired speakers everywhere in my home except the basement. I have a home stereo / theatre in the basement that I’d like to play Sonos through occasionally. Can this be accomplished using Chrome Cast audio instead of a Sonos connect? The amp for the basement stereo is a Pioneer Elite VSX-60.
icon

Best answer by CapnLes 18 November 2017, 20:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi GEDD,

Welcome to the Sonos community!

Your Chrome Cast does not connect to Sonos. Easiest way would be to add a Sonos Connect to your basement system. Depending on the distance, walls and floors you may need to add a Boost as well.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the info. Was trying to save a few bucks... ah well, c’est la vie.
You can still do that if you want to play Chromecast compatible streamed sources in the basement; it won't be in sync with Sonos but does it need to be?

Google Play Music for instance will work very well for music in the basement for USD 35 for the CCA and the subscription for the service which, by the way, will work in a similar fashion, independently with your other Sonos kit. You will need a decent WiFi signal in the basement of course, to connect to Google Play.