Question

Using as PC speakers what is the delay like?

• 29 October 2016
  • 5 replies

Considering Sonos speakers as computer speakers-
Can anyone advise on whether the delay makes this impractical-
I imagine direct inline to a play 5 would have the least delay
Does using a Connect with no compression work as fast?
Thoughts?
Thanx

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
70ms don't notice delay using connect input output from computer
How do I set up Sonos to use as PC speakers? For example, if I want to use Sonos for speakers for a Web Conference to show to my team at work?
Not easily done. There's a ton of threads on this, but basically, you'd need either a PLAY:5 or a CONNECT, and string a cable between the computer's headphone out jack to the line in on the Sonos device. Then deal with the delay incurred when an analog in is processed by Sonos.

The simple fact is that Sonos' speakers are not designed to be used as PC speakers, and most of us recommend that you find some other kind of speaker to function as them. There are lots of wired PC speakers that are perfectly acceptable, as well as many PA system that would work. Sonos isn't designed in such a manner to make this really easy/feasible.
Thanks for your reply. I thought as much.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
If you already have Sonos speakers, you could give this a whirl: http://www.streamwhatyouhear.com/ It takes the audio output stream from your computer and can send it to your Sonos kit over DLNA/uPNP. Disclaimer: I haven't used the software, just found that in a quick Google. I am actually curious how well the Sonos speakers work with uPNP or DLNA in general.