Question

Using an '80's turtable and amp with Sonos

• 29 November 2016
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I'm sure this must have been asked before but I'd be grateful if someone could guide me through - am a little new to all this.

I've a 35 years old Technics turntable and amplifier that I'd like to use again. I've also got a couple of of Play 3's and a Playbar. Is there a way to hook up the deck and amp so that I can get vinyl to play through my Sonos speakers?

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Your going to need an input into Sonos.

The Playbar - how is it hooked up. If from optical from TV does your TV have a composite input with red/white RCA inputs. You could play turntable via TV to playbar (which in turn can send out to the Play:3's as well).

Otherwise you need a Connect, Connect:Amp, or Play:5 that has an input into Sonos.
I wouldn't pipe it through the TV. It's inconvenient as the TV would have to be on, and there'd potentially be loss of quality.

The TT will need a phono pre-amp come what may. One could be built in. Or you could use the existing amp, outputting via its REC out. Or buy a standalone preamp.

Then a cheap AD converter plus an optical switch would allow the signal from the TT to go straight to the PLAYBAR.

The PLAYBAR would see the TT signal as 'TV'. If the PLAY:3s are bonded with it as surrounds they'll play in sync. If they're separate rooms and are grouped with the PLAYBAR they won't be in sync.
Userlevel 2
Badge
The Playbar is hooked up to the television and in a different part of the house to the turntable/amp. It isn't practical to move it or start plugging leads in to the television so I think that option is out.

How do I determine whether I need Connect, Connect Amp or Play 5? Ideally I'd like to use the turntable with the existing amp if possible...

Thanks!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Ratty - your answer came through just as I was responding to Chris.

If the turntable is connected to the old amp, where does REC out lead to? To the back one of the Play 3's?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No

as an old amp with speakers would assume you would want a connect so you can also play Sonos music to that old amp.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Play:3 has no inputs only the ones I mentioned.
If the turntable is connected to the old amp, where does REC out lead to? To the back one of the Play 3's?
If connecting the PLAYBAR (or TV) is not practical, you'd need to wire the TT to a Sonos unit with a Line-In. Only PLAY:5, CONNECT or CONNECT:AMP have these. There's no point in getting a CONNECT simply to accept the TT signal. You'd be better off finding a use for a PLAY:5 as a room speaker and to accept the Line-In.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Unless you have speakers attached to the old amp that then become Sonos speakers having a Connect.
A 35 year old amp and TT is one thing, but speakers (Technics?) that old, well, probably advisable to leave them to rest in peace. The drive unit suspensions are likely to be past their best.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
True speakers could have had their day if real old.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks guys. Apologies but I'm still a little confused.

I only have the TT and amp - the speakers are long gone. Are you suggesting that I should be rejecting the old amp and connecting the TT direct to a Connect Amp instead?

Ideally I'd like to reuse the old amp if possible...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ok so estrus idea of a play:5 is good. That will connect from the rec out of thebamo to the play:5. Then you can play to the play 5 and/or any Sonos speaker in house.

You need the old amp in the middle still to act as a phone amp to get the turntable up to a line level signal.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That was supposed to say rattys idea is good.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Stupid phone. And should say Rec out of the old amp to the play:5
CONNECT:AMP has a Line-In and is for driving passive speakers (of which you have none).

CONNECT has a Line-In and is for driving an amp (which you have) and speakers (see above). A CONNECT used simply as a means to wire in a TT is an expensive luxury IMO.

Personally I would stretch the budget and get a PLAY:5. It can accept the TT Line-In (via the amp) and be a very good speaker in its own right.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Got it.

Thanks a lot guys. I'll invest in a Play 5 and see how I get on...