using a Linksys or a Belkin Pre-N router...interference?

• 6 October 2005
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
I'm going to buy a Sonos system in a couple of months after broadband moves to my area and leads me to set up a wireless network. I've been looking at the Linksys WRT54GX and the Belkin F5D8230-4 for my routers. I was hoping to go Pre-N for greater distance and signal strength.

However, I read in a an earlier thread that some 108Mbps routers can cause interference with the Sonos. Does anyone any experience with either of these two routers and know whether or not they'll be safe to use? Thanks.

4 replies

Userlevel 2
I have the Belkin Pre-N router in the same room as my wired Sonos. I'm only connecting to the Belkin with a "g" adapter (no pre-N adapters, just 54mbps "g" adapters") and have experienced no problems.

Of course, YMMV.
Userlevel 2
Hi WastedYouth,

I've seen some problems with the Linksys model you speak of. The Belkin seems to work ok, just disable any 108Mbps features. The 108Mbps routers use the entire 2.4Ghz band for communication and do not leave any room for other wireless devices communicating over 2.4Ghz.

-Jason
I don't recall the model number, but I know of a pair of zoneplayers living happily about 30" from one of the new Linksys MIMO routers.
Userlevel 2
Thanks guys.

From the replies, I'm assumning that my results may vary. I'll probably go with a standard G router. I'm just new to the whole wireless thing, and I don't know what to expect as far as range and signal strength goes.

I'm planning on also using a wireless bridge so that I can put a sole ZP in my theater room, thereby saving the cost of buying two ZP's (sorry, Sonos 🙂 ). That room is only about 35' from my office, but the signal has to go through two walls to get there.

Plus, most everything in the house is wireless (phones, alarm system, theater remote, etc.). Add to that a pretty extensive wireless network (laptop, bridge, NAS, etc.), and I'm concerned that operating distance may be lessened somewhat.

I've got another month or so to decide. I'd appreciate any advice or anecdotal experience anyone has along the way. I'm pretty excited about the whole thing. I've been looking for something like Sonos for years.

After finding the site yesterday and learning from the forums, I'm already in the process of ripping all my CD's to Flac, along with cover art, to put on future NAS. It's amazing what you can learn once you find the right site.

Again, thanks for any help you can provide.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings