Answered

Use Sonos Port as Receiver? (Send signal to AMP/DAC via Digital Out).

• 25 February 2021
  • 9 replies

Hi

I bought a sonos port and having an issue / unsure if this setup is actually supported...

I have a AMP / DAC combo which connects to headphones. I have my Sonos Port connected to Speakers but I also have a  digital out connected to the DAC (via coax cable). I want to use the sonos as a digitial audio reciever which can then send the audio to my headohone, via the DAC.

I would like to get my sonos to recieve music (works fine) but send this  via the digital out to the AMP / DAC so i can listen via my headphones. I think in theory this should work but in practice i cant find anyway to make this happen. 

Everything is connected fine, the cable via the sonos digital out goes to the digital in of the amp / dac, but tho i select the sonos port no audio is coming through.

So is what I want to do possible, if so, how?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by ratty 25 February 2021, 19:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

It help to specify the amp/dac you’re using.  Also, you said that the Sonos Port is connected to speakers?  Would that be via the RCA output, and the speakers are active (not-passive)?  It could be that the digital output is not sending a signal since you are using the RCA, but I seem to recall that the Port sends audio along both digital COAX and analog RCA regardless of what’s connected.  That would be fairly easy to test though.  Disconnect the speakers and the test your headphones.

Both the analog and digital outputs on the Port are active. I use the kind of arrangement proposed by the OP all the time. 

It help to specify the amp/dac you’re using.  Also, you said that the Sonos Port is connected to speakers?  Would that be via the RCA output, and the speakers are active (not-passive)?  It could be that the digital output is not sending a signal since you are using the RCA, but I seem to recall that the Port sends audio along both digital COAX and analog RCA regardless of what’s connected.  That would be fairly easy to test though.  Disconnect the speakers and the test your headphones.

I have the Sony ta-zh1es  you can see hopefully from this google image search that it supports digital in via coax.

And Yes, they are active speakers and I use the rca output to connect these to the Sonos port.

I am going to try disconnecting the RCA output to see if it works….would be a real pain if have to disconnect it tho to work :/

Thanks both! I have found it does indeed work and the issue is the volume was too low (duh) for me to hear via the headphones, whilst it also played via my speakers.

So the real issue which I hope can be done…..how do I tell the sonos not to pass the sound to the rca output when I dont want to use the speakers?? Or is it always active and cant be stopped??

Thanks again!

So the real issue which I hope can be done…..how do I tell the sonos not to pass the sound to the rca output when I dont want to use the speakers?? Or is it always active and cant be stopped??

It’s always active. You’ll need to power off the speakers when you don’t need them.

It’s always active. You’ll need to power off the speakers when you don’t need them.

damn okay

maybe i can see if a audio interface between the Port and the speaker can be used to kill the signal to the speaers…..

damn okay

maybe i can see if a audio interface between the Port and the speaker can be used to kill the signal to the speaers…..

Although not exactly what you need, an RCA switch like this should work.  Just switch it to an unused input.  You could theoretically use the active speakers with a different source too.

That said, I’m not quite sure I understand how you have a volume issue, so perhaps this won’t help you.

damn okay

Although not exactly what you need, an RCA switch like this should work.  Just switch it to an unused input.  You could theoretically use the active speakers with a different source too.

That said, I’m not quite sure I understand how you have a volume issue, so perhaps this won’t help you.

Ah can you link an example by any chance?

I dont have a volume issue anymore - it was just the reason I did not realise the digital signal out was working. But now i know it is, its really about cutting the signal to the speakers without having to turn them off. A rca switch / a medium to easily stop (and when needed the allow) the signal from the sonos to reach the speaker would be perfect.

I did some searches on amazon but there are a number of options, so appreciate any recommendations!

Don’t you power down the actives when they’re not in use? Why have them sitting there chewing power all the time? If toggling power on/off is awkward just use a remote operated switch (RF or network-based, with or without voice control).