Upgrade conundrum! Connect or Port?

• 3 December 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi. I have a Connect for my separates hi fi system which is not compatible with the S2 controller. I wanted to keep up with developments & improve functionality etc so the Port, at a substantial cost, seemed the next best step. Unfortunately reviews of the Port are showing that sound quality is poorer & sound stage confused in comparison with the Connect. Is Sonos aware aware of this backward step & are they they fixing this so the Port becomes a quality product & an improvement in the sound delivery department over the Connect. Until this is so I am sticking to the Connect & the S1 app until it becomes totally useless. Thanks for any comments or advice. Keith D.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Hi.  In what sense does a Port or Connect have a sound stage?  This comment immediately makes me suspicious of the reviews.

Having said that, I have been happy to leave my Connect on S1, rather than buy a Port for, at best, little gain.

Hi. I have a Connect for my separates hi fi system which is not compatible with the S2 controller. I wanted to keep up with developments & improve functionality etc so the Port, at a substantial cost, seemed the next best step. Unfortunately reviews of the Port are showing that sound quality is poorer & sound stage confused in comparison with the Connect. Is Sonos aware aware of this backward step & are they they fixing this so the Port becomes a quality product & an improvement in the sound delivery department over the Connect. Until this is so I am sticking to the Connect & the S1 app until it becomes totally useless. Thanks for any comments or advice. Keith D.

The difference is only when using variable volume.  At fixed volume (which anyone concerned with transparency to the original should be using), both the Connect and the Port are bit-perfect to the source.