Answered

Upgrade Connect to Port -- cost/benefit?

• 5 April 2020
  • 8 replies

• Contributor II
  • 3 replies

System: I have a 2017-vintage Connect that ties a Marantz receiver + Integra power amp + several in-wall wired speakers to three Play 1s and a Move. (Essentially, we had a wired house before I integrated it with Sonos.)

It’s unclear to me what benefit I will get from trading in the Connect for a Port. The trigger is of limited benefit because the Marantz amp is usually already on. Sounds like S2 will offer support for Tidal Masters (nice, not sure it’s worth the upgrade) and some as-yet undefined other improvements to the user interface. 

How are other Connect owners thinking about the cost/benefit of shelling out $300 for a Port? It’s just not clear to me what I will get in return for the outlay.

Thanks 

icon

Best answer by Chris 5 April 2020, 18:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

So I’m assuming your Connect is considered legacy so your looking to see should you shell out for the port with the 30% discount.

I guess really right now it is a wait and see as to what advantages the S2 software will have.   I personally wouldn’t do the upgrade now as it won’t get you anything really (assume you don’t need a 12v trigger).

I would go online though and get the 30% discount credit for the Connect being legacy (assume yours is) and the credit when I applied with some of my legacy devices said it didn’t expire.

So personally right now I would submit and get the 30% credit on account and then wait and see if there are any S2 features that I feel are worth making the upgrade - because hardware wise your not really changing anything.

So long as the Connect is showing as 'Modern' in your Sonos account -- and it should if made in 2017 -- you can keep it. It won't hold your system back. 

The Connect shows as “Legacy.” I applied for the discount and received it. Sounds like waiting is the best option since the advantages of S2 are unclear.

The Connect shows as “Legacy.” 

It must have been sold from old stock then. 

Two questions please.

1.) Is there a better DAC in the new Port product, or is there no difference in sound quality with the original Connect?

2.) If you upgrade using the 30% scheme, can you keep your original product? In my case the Connect.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

30% scheme?   I don’t get it

Yes for every legacy product you get 30% off a new and you can keep your old as well. 

the old had a pretty good DAC so I’m not sure how much better could be on that end.  I have heard the new one is bit perfect. 

The new Port doesn’t have an additional optical connection so now I’m screwed when connecting the Port to our surround sound.  Was able to keep the inwall speakers working through the old Bose system which sounds similar to yours but the new surround sound won’t work because I only have an optical connection available on the surround sound receiver so I’m SOL.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

The new Port doesn’t have an additional optical connection so now I’m screwed when connecting the Port to our surround sound.  Was able to keep the inwall speakers working through the old Bose system which sounds similar to yours but the new surround sound won’t work because I only have an optical connection available on the surround sound receiver so I’m SOL.  

couldn’t you just use a coax to optical converter? I use one for my tv which only has a coax out and I convert this to optical to connect a Sonos beam

something like this…

Cable Mountain Digital SPDIF Coaxial to Optical TOSlink Signal Converter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001U7GW68/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UvbuFbR010Z6W