Answered

TWO QUESTIONS about connecting TV to Sonos equipment/external speakers

• 13 December 2016
  • 4 replies

When we did some house construction three years ago, we had an A/V guy set up a Sonos system and a new Samsung TV. We opted not to get a full home theater, so he installed a CONNECT:AMP (I believe) and hooked it up to some in-ceiling speakers. But he didn't or couldn't connect the TV to those same speakers at the time, and never came back as he had said he would to wrap up the installation. (We won't be using that same company ever again.)

Question 1: Can I run the Samsung audio through the CONNECT:AMP to the existing ceiling speakers?

If the answer is NO, I will consider buying a Playbar, but that leads to Question 2: Reading the Playbar manual, it says that all components of my system (cable box, modem/router) have to be connected directly to the TV for it to work properly. I have an Xbox One controlling my TV and cable box. How does the Playbar fit in such a system?

Thanks.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 13 December 2016, 22:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Whoa!

Yes, you can run the Samsung audio through the Connect:Amp to get audio to the existing speakers. Note that it won't be surround, or 5.1 data, just stereo information. Oh, and there might be a slight delay in synch between the speakers and the information on the screen. Others who may have done this might add their comments.

2. I think you've misinterpreted the information, although I've not read it myself. If you get a Playbar, the only things it needs to be connected to are the power, and the TV itself, via a optical cable (TOSLink connector). You can, if you choose, connect it to your wifi system to allow it to play streaming data. Ah, a thought just occurred to me. I think part of the setup process requires you to connect the Playbar to your router via an internet cable? If that's the case, it's a 3 to 5 minute thing during the setup process, then you can remove that ethernet cable and continue wirelessly. That may be what you were reading.

So, the Playbar connects to the TV to get sound. The Cable Box and XBox One would connect to the TV using HDMI cables, and basically that's it. You could potentially then add a couple of "rear" speakers, and a sub to get the full surround sound setup (Dolby Digital 5.1). Many people prefer Play:1s as surround speakers, but some like the larger Play:3s or Play:5s, it's up to you and your ears.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, that's VERY helpful.

One minor point - which I don't think changes anything significant: the cable box connects via HDMI to the Xbox One, which connects to the TV. There's no direct connection from the cable box to the TV.

Thanks again!
You're certainly welcome!
Dan Someone

I think you might have stumbled upon the information about using a CONNECT:AMP to drive the surround speakers for a PLAYBAR. In that situation there has to be a wired network connection between the PLAYBAR and the CONNECT:AMP, and at least one Sonos unit (not necessarily the two already mentioned) must be wired back to the router.

There's more detail at https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2248