Answered

Turntable with Sonos ones

Can I use a connect amp to use the turntable with Sonos one?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 12 April 2018, 15:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes a connect amp, connect, or play:5 can be used as output from a line level output of turntable to feed any Sonos speaker. When I say line level the phono needs integrated or external preamp to get to line level.
This is going to sound stupid but how do I connect the amp to the play ones ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The amp will wirelessly send out the signal to any other Sonos speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I assume you have a connect amp or want one to power some 3rd party speakers.
This is going to sound stupid but how do I connect the amp to the play ones ?

The Connect:Amp's main purpose is to amplify a set of external passive speakers (hence the "Amp" name). If you only need to send the output from a turntable to a pair of Play:1's, you do not need a Connect:Amp (though it will do it). Save the $$ and get a Connect.

The connections would be Turntable->(internal or external pre-amp)->Connect Line-In. Then choose the Line-In source for the Play:1 room or set the Autoplay room for the Line-In to the Play:1 room name in Settings->Room Settings->(Connect room name)->Line-in Settings, which will make the Play:1s the default for the turntable. Then drop the needle.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea I’m concerned he thinks the connect:amp will work as a phono pre-amp. Which it will not.
All done, I have the pre-amp and i just couldn't understand why the sound wouldn't come through the Play:1's but I've got it integrated with the whole system now. Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Perfect
Badge +1
So, just to clarify, regardless of whether one is using a Play5, Connect or Connect:Amp, one must have a preamp between the turntable and the Sonos input device? Does a Connect device improve the quality over using just a Sonos5 as input device? Thanks!
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
So, just to clarify, regardless of whether one is using a Play5, Connect or Connect:Amp, one must have a preamp between the turntable and the Sonos input device? Does a Connect device improve the quality over using just a Sonos5 as input device? Thanks!

Yes, turntables must have a phonograph preamp, either external or built-in to play through a line-levell device like a Connect or a Play:5
No, assuming you're using at least moderate quality cables, there's no reason I see that the Connect / Connect Amp would give a higher audio quality than a PLay:5, but someone who's tested might be able to contradict me. For decent quality audio components linelevel=linelevel=linelevel.

And by moderate quality cables, I don't mean you have to go to a store that calls them "interconnects" and you need a second mortgage to buy them. Name brand, Belkin, Radio Shack, etc will be fine.
There is no difference whichever Sonos device you use. A separate phono preamp is needed if the turntable does not have one built in