Answered

Turntable with Sonos ones

Can I use a connect amp to use the turntable with Sonos one?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 12 April 2018, 15:02

cbizzle wrote:

This is going to sound stupid but how do I connect the amp to the play ones ?

The Connect:Amp's main purpose is to amplify a set of external passive speakers (hence the "Amp" name). If you only need to send the output from a turntable to a pair of Play:1's, you do not need a Connect:Amp (though it will do it). Save the $$ and get a Connect.

The connections would be Turntable->(internal or external pre-amp)->Connect Line-In. Then choose the Line-In source for the Play:1 room or set the Autoplay room for the Line-In to the Play:1 room name in Settings->Room Settings->(Connect room name)->Line-in Settings, which will make the Play:1s the default for the turntable. Then drop the needle.

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes a connect amp, connect, or play:5 can be used as output from a line level output of turntable to feed any Sonos speaker. When I say line level the phono needs integrated or external preamp to get to line level.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The amp will wirelessly send out the signal to any other Sonos speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I assume you have a connect amp or want one to power some 3rd party speakers.
cbizzle wrote:

The Connect:Amp's main purpose is to amplify a set of external passive speakers (hence the "Amp" name). If you only need to send the output from a turntable to a pair of Play:1's, you do not need a Connect:Amp (though it will do it). Save the $$ and get a Connect.

The connections would be Turntable->(internal or external pre-amp)->Connect Line-In. Then choose the Line-In source for the Play:1 room or set the Autoplay room for the Line-In to the Play:1 room name in Settings->Room Settings->(Connect room name)->Line-in Settings, which will make the Play:1s the default for the turntable. Then drop the needle.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea I’m concerned he thinks the connect:amp will work as a phono pre-amp. Which it will not.
All done, I have the pre-amp and i just couldn't understand why the sound wouldn't come through the Play:1's but I've got it integrated with the whole system now. Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Perfect
Badge
So, just to clarify, regardless of whether one is using a Play5, Connect or Connect:Amp, one must have a preamp between the turntable and the Sonos input device? Does a Connect device improve the quality over using just a Sonos5 as input device? Thanks!
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
longshadows wrote:

So, just to clarify, regardless of whether one is using a Play5, Connect or Connect:Amp, one must have a preamp between the turntable and the Sonos input device? Does a Connect device improve the quality over using just a Sonos5 as input device? Thanks!

Yes, turntables must have a phonograph preamp, either external or built-in to play through a line-levell device like a Connect or a Play:5
No, assuming you're using at least moderate quality cables, there's no reason I see that the Connect / Connect Amp would give a higher audio quality than a PLay:5, but someone who's tested might be able to contradict me. For decent quality audio components linelevel=linelevel=linelevel.

And by moderate quality cables, I don't mean you have to go to a store that calls them "interconnects" and you need a second mortgage to buy them. Name brand, Belkin, Radio Shack, etc will be fine.
There is no difference whichever Sonos device you use. A separate phono preamp is needed if the turntable does not have one built in

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings