Answered

Turntable with new system

Hi All,

Newbie here, I've just set up a new system (Arc + Sub + Amp to inceiling  3rd party speakers) it is all working great and sounds awesome, a lot better then the old surround system, i wanted to hook up a turntable to play through this system. Through reading i got the easist and cheapest way was to get a connect for a line in, then play through the room.  So I got a zp80 cheap through a mate who upgraded, but have discovered it only works through the s1 app

Is there a way I can make this work? 

My other thoughts are getting 2 one sl's to replace the ceilings and use the amp for the turntable 

Or 

Buy a port to swap out the zp80

Thoughts?

icon

Best answer by John B 4 May 2021, 10:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Hi.  There is no way you can use the ZP80.  You could use a gen 2 Connect if you can find one on eBay, which would be cheaper than a Port.  If you were going to get a Port, I would suggest you consider getting a Five instead.  You get a great speaker and a line in instead of just a line in, for not a huge amount of extra money.  Or, similarly, get a used Play:5 gen 2 from eBay.

Using the Amp just as a line-in would be a huge waste of its functionality, IMO.

I hope that helps.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Just a thought, but it’s my understanding that you can also use the new Roam as a way to distribute a Bluetooth input signal across the rest of a Sonos network.

Someone on another post confirmed that this was possible, but I haven’t tried it as I don’t have a Roam.

It would mean getting a Bluetooth transmitter to connect to the turntable. And if the turntable only has Phono out level rather than Line Out level signals, probably a preamp as well, since I suspect most BT transmitters will need Line In level signals to work.

Roam works on BT 5 standard according to the specs, so a decent BT4 or 5 transmitter should encode the audio using a decent codec with good quality.

A Roam would be a lot less expensive than a Five and give you a portable speaker if that is more use to you.