Turntable volume with a Port

• 19 July 2021
  • 4 replies

I recently purchased a SONY PS-LX310BT which says it has a pre-amp. Though when I set it to LINE and connect it to my port using the line in, and play it through either a beam or my Sonos One the volume allows me to adjust it though it doesn’t get very loud. I understand what a pre-amp does, though would it work to add an external pre-amp to boost the sound of the turntable ? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

It could, but that would imply that the internal one isn’t working properly. The first thing I’d do is flip that switch on/off/on for the internal one, and make sure it’s on Line, not Phono.  I’ve seen cases where the switch is “sticky” or “corroded” and isn’t making appropriate contact.

Make sure you’re using a correct (for the turntable) needle type, either moving magnet or moving coil, as the pre-amp is often set up for one, and not the other. 

Userlevel 7

Be sure to adjust the Source Level under the Line-In settings in the Sonos app. Also, set Audio Compression to Uncompressed for the best quality audio.

It could, but that would imply that the internal one isn’t working properly. The first thing I’d do is flip that switch on/off/on for the internal one, and make sure it’s on Line, not Phono.  I’ve seen cases where the switch is “sticky” or “corroded” and isn’t making appropriate contact.

Make sure you’re using a correct (for the turntable) needle type, either moving magnet or moving coil, as the pre-amp is often set up for one, and not the other. 

Thats really helpful though the turntable is brand new out of the box and the needle came with the turntable. I will though check the switch between line and phono!

Be sure to adjust the Source Level under the Line-In settings in the Sonos app. Also, set Audio Compression to Uncompressed for the best quality audio.

I will have a look at this, though for some reason my system has suddenly decided to disappear from my app. Must be the hot weather in the UK :cold_sweat: