Answered

Turntable using only Beam+One+Sub+Five

• 16 December 2020
  • 3 replies

Hello, 

I own a Sony - Bluetooth Stereo Turntable and I am using a Sonos Five with a (cheap) pre-amp to connect them to my Sonos system (Beam+2Ones+Sub) so I can get all my speakers working. Currently I am not happy at all with the sound because it sounds cheap. I think there should be a way of getting a nice sound from the turntable. I am thinking on the following:

1. Buying the Sonos Amp and use it to connect the turntable to the Sonos system and probably get rid of the Sonos Five. 
  2. Upgrade my current preamp to a better one like Pluto 2 or Pro-Ject Phono Box, keep the Sonos Five for the Line-In but I am not sure if this will upgrade my sound as much as I want it. 

Any thoughts on this? 

I have the Sonos system and the Turntable+Sonos Five in the same big room. 

Thank you all!

icon

Best answer by bockersjv 16 December 2020, 20:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Changing the Sonos input device will have zero difference. The software to change the analogue input to digital from the turntable to the Sonos system is the same on Five and amp. 

Sound issues will be due to the turntable, pickup cartridge, and pre amp. Concentrate on that side. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Sound issues will be due to the turntable, pickup cartridge, and pre amp. Concentrate on that side. 

This is almost certainly the solution. 

Thank you! I’m gonna try changing the pre amp first. Any recommendations for a good and not expensive one?