Answered

Turntable through Amp to Port.

• 15 September 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Possibly a dumb question. I’ve seen a number of examples of Turntables running direct into a Port (or through a small turntable pre-amp) and then lots of examples of Ports running into a receiver for streaming.

I’m interested in continuing to run my turntable into my receiver––then out to a Port. And also into the same receiver for streaming. Is this a workable scenario? Sorry if this is dumb but I just want to make sure the Port is the solution for me. Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 15 September 2020, 21:57

Sure. You connect the Port to a tape loop. Tape out goes to Analog in on the Port, Tape in goes to the Analog out on the Port. Anything you play on the turntable gets sent to the Port, and delayed by 75ms for processing before being played on grouped Sonos speakers, anything streamed from Sonos gets sent to the receiver, and all speakers (Sonos and receiver’s) are in sync. 

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Sure. You connect the Port to a tape loop. Tape out goes to Analog in on the Port, Tape in goes to the Analog out on the Port. Anything you play on the turntable gets sent to the Port, and delayed by 75ms for processing before being played on grouped Sonos speakers, anything streamed from Sonos gets sent to the receiver, and all speakers (Sonos and receiver’s) are in sync. 

Badge +1

Thanks for the quick response, Bruce. That’s what I imagined but needed some confirmation. The delay occurred to me as a possibility but I hadn’t quantified it. This may be too subjective to provide a reasonable answer but would a 75ms delay typically be an issue for two adjacent rooms?

Laugh. A question I’m actually qualified to answer. No, unless you’re standing in the hallway between the two rooms and can hear both rooms. 

There’s an equivalent delay between a ‘home theater’ Sonos set up and any grouped rooms. I used to have a pair of speakers in my kitchen, and used them to listen to the TV while cooking during football games. As long as I didn’t stand in the doorway to the kitchen, where I could hear both speakers at the same time, it was great. 

Badge +1

Excellent––thanks again––I’ll give it a go!

:slight_smile: