Answered

Turntable Issue

• 25 December 2020
  • 9 replies

Hi

I have two Fives and a Gen 3 Sub connected together in one room and all are working well.  I have just connected up a new Pro-Ject T1 Phono SB turntable to my RH Five and I can get audio through that speaker but cannot get the sound to come out of the LH Five, nor the Sub.  

I have looked online with no success for an easy fix, can someone please help to get this audio to play on the “room” (three speakers) and not just this one?  

I have the S2 App running on a fairly new iPhone.  

Thank you in advance!

Sharon

icon

Best answer by SBeaumann 30 December 2020, 22:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Obvious things first: are you sure the cable is ok, and is the plug fully pushed in? Do you have any other source you can connect to test, instead of the turntable? What happens if you plug it into the LH Five?

Hi, thanks for your message, all cables are OK, I do not have another source unfortunately.  I have plugged the turntable into the LH Five fully expecting the sound to come out of that side, but it came straight out of the RH Five, and is continuing to do so even when setting the Line Out settings to the left. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Are you sure your Five are set up as a stereo set? I seem to remember they also should be placed vertically for this?

The orientation is not relevant; pairs can be horizontal or vertical.

It sounds like there’s simply no signal on the left channel from the turntable. I’m sure another source could be used to test the Sonos players, even if it’s just a headphone outlet on a phone via a 3.5mm-3.5mm cable.

Userlevel 7

Is the switch on the turntable set to Line Out or Phono Out?

It is set to Line Out.  

I can switch from Line-In (Turntable) to Sonos Radio, or Apple Music, or any other option in my Browser list and two Fives go back into stereo mode.  Then I switch back and we’re back to sound from the RH side only.  I’ve gone through all the setting options and still no luck.  It’s infuriating!! 

The most likely explanation is that the Left signal is simply missing from the turntable feed. You’ve already connected it to either of the Fives with the same results, which tends to rule out a Five being at fault.

Try connecting a different source to the Line-In on a Five and, if possible, try connecting the turntable to some other downstream equipment. That way you can fully isolate the problem.

Also, check the cable.  A mono mini-plug will have one black band, a stereo mini-plug will have two.

A really huge thanks to everyone who has tried to help, this is now fixed.  

I eventually got in touch with the Sonos Tech team as the shop couldn’t help, my geeky friends gave up and even my IT manager couldn’t see what was wrong. 

I am embarrassed to say that the fix was a simple case of “turn the LH Five play/pause button off, then play something on the TT to turn it back on again”.  The old turn it on and off trick :rolling_eyes:

I hope this thread helps someone else in the future

Happy New Year !!!