Answered

Trying to update my sonos but getting error code 9

• 20 November 2016
  • 19 replies

Hello,
When trying to update my sonos I keep on getting an error 9 wich there is no description...can someone know what do to, see attached.
Thanks
Andre
icon

Best answer by Max P 1 December 2016, 11:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Badge
Same error here.. trying to update my Play 5 gen 2 and... bang, same message.

And in my SONOS app there's no Spotify. I tried Beta, then I gave up of beta, I don't know what is happening.

Actually I don't understand why everything is so complicated in this application. If I knew that before I would buy another box.
Actually I don't understand why everything is so complicated in this application. If I knew that before I would buy another box.
You chose to enrol in a beta, which always involves a degree of uncertainty. That said, downgrading out of a beta is normally straightforward. Sonos continue to announce that there are issues with leaving 7.0 beta. Whether they'll choose to resolve this or simply leave it until 7.0 is fully released is not known. Since 7.0 is in public beta one assumes that production release can't be that far off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey guys, there's currently some trouble downgrading Sonos players from the public beta version back to the current release build. It's giving that error 9. There's a fix for it but it will require you to give us a call on our support line for the team to assist doing it.

Sorry for the trouble.
Rather than constantly ask people to call the support line, could Sonos not post the solution online? It seems that lots of people are having the same issue (myself included) and would like their systems up and running again. I've emailed customer support yesterday as per instructions on the support page but yet to hear anything back. Alternatively, could you give some indication as to when the beta will be made live?
Badge
I called the support today. I was numer 105 waiting in the line. Now I'm already 55 min talking to the support staff and after they connect to my PC , the app could be updated..but Spotify... nothing so far.
Too complicated for me.. should buy another player. It's very disappointing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Rather than constantly ask people to call the support line, could Sonos not post the solution online? It seems that lots of people are having the same issue (myself included) and would like their systems up and running again. I've emailed customer support yesterday as per instructions on the support page but yet to hear anything back. Alternatively, could you give some indication as to when the beta will be made live?

The workaround that resolves this isn't something that can be done yourself, it requires some steps from a technician on our end of things for each system.

We haven't announced the official end of the beta program, but it'll probably be within a few weeks.
I called the support today. I was numer 105 waiting in the line. Now I'm already 55 min talking to the support staff and after they connect to my PC , the app could be updated..but Spotify... nothing so far.
Too complicated for me.. should buy another player. It's very disappointing.

In all honesty, you volunteered to be participate in the beta, which by definition involves using software which is not fully baked. It also assumes patience and responsibilities on the part of the Beta tester. If you are unable or unwilling to accept these conditions, it is hardly Sonos' fault. Nor are you likely to get a different user experience from any other company's beta testing.
Badge
"you volunteered to participate in beta"...so it's my fault now?? I was just trying to connect (or be able to use) Spotify! And looking for some help in your website I found something related to participate in beta. As it never worked here, I did a factory reset, and erased all applications, to start from zero again. Guess what? "Update error 9". I called your support yesterday (I was #105 holding in line, a lot of complains as I can see..) and after 2h15min nobody knows why I don't have spotify! The update was done but only after your support connect to my PC and share my screen...this shows how easy your application is.
Now, here I am after spent 500,00 with NO spotify, and one more thing, even trying to connect by CABLE in my PC or mobile, it doesn't play anything. So my dear support team, is there any other misterious configuration to listen to some music using a simple cable?
And thank you so much for your support !
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
"you volunteered to participate in beta"...so it's my fault now?? I was just trying to connect (or be able to use) Spotify! And looking for some help in your website I found something related to participate in beta. As it never worked here, I did a factory reset, and erased all applications, to start from zero again. Guess what? "Update error 9". I called your support yesterday (I was #105 holding in line, a lot of complains as I can see..) and after 2h15min nobody knows why I don't have spotify! The update was done but only after your support connect to my PC and share my screen...this shows how easy your application is.
Now, here I am after spent 500,00 with NO spotify, and one more thing, even trying to connect by CABLE in my PC or mobile, it doesn't play anything. So my dear support team, is there any other misterious configuration to listen to some music using a simple cable?

If you are able to play Spotify having logged into your Spotify account using the Spotify app but when you try activating the service within Sonos you find it doesn't work I suggest as a first step that you ensure that your Sonos account (The one that your system is registered to) is recorded the SAME country as your Spotify account.
The Public Beta in so far as it relates to Spotify is to allow the Spotify app to play through a connected Sonos system - there is no mention of fixing any other related Spotify/Sonos issues.

I don't understand this comment "even trying to connect by CABLE in my PC or mobile, it doesn't play anything" - This sounds like a different issue - Perhaps you should start a different thread and I'm sure people will try and help.

Presumably Sonos successfully removed you from Beta and updated system to current released software/firmware?
Badge
Yes, they could manage to remove me from beta and fix the error 9. I will try to remove all applications again and in the new setup change the location of my sonos. I plugged the audio cable in my PC / Mobile, and sonos play 5 gen 2, but it doesn't play anything, no audio.
I plugged the audio cable in my PC / Mobile, and sonos play 5 gen 2, but it doesn't play anything, no audio.
Did you select the Line-In on the music menu? It won't play automatically, unless you configure 'Line-In Autoplay' in room settings.
Badge
SPOTIFY NOW OK

My spotify account is in one country and Sonos was in my actual country. I changed my sonos account to the same country as spotify and then the spotify was ok. Now it's working.

So be sure your spotify and sonos are in the same country settings.

I wasn't saying it was your fault. However, the problems you are experiencing removing yourself from the beta are due to the fact that you voluntarily signed up for beta. Since this beta involved a much more complicated signup than others, it seems there was a problem reversing oneself from that signup. Although any company tries to iron out most bugs before public beta, the very purpose of a public beta is to find the remaining bugs before releasing to the general public. You happened to have found one of those bugs. This is how it is supposed to work, as stated in the beta agreement. To then go on a rant about how Sonos is "too complicated" or "very disappointing" when you yourself volunteered for a process that the vast majority of users never participate in, and by its very nature is experimental and incomplete, is an unfair assessment of the product and the support team as a whole. Beta is not for everyone.
Hey guys, there's currently some trouble downgrading Sonos players from the public beta version back to the current release build. It's giving that error 9. There's a fix for it but it will require you to give us a call on our support line for the team to assist doing it.

Sorry for the trouble.

Ryan, what is the support phone number toll free from Canada??

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Sorry for the trouble.

Ryan, what is the support phone number toll free from Canada??

Thanks

They should be listed here: http://www.sonos.com/en-ca/contact

Currently:

+1.800.680.2345
Mon - Fri - 9 am - 8 pm ET
Sat 10 - 6 pm ET
Closed - Thanksgiving

Sorry for the trouble.

Called the support as suggested and everything is fine now and Spotify is working,

Alléluia, thank you!

Andre
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
This topic has already been answered here: Unable to update error 9. Let us know if you have any other questions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi everyone,

The beta is now live and the update issues should be resolved. If you do get an error when updating, please try leaving the beta program. You can also reach out to me through a direct message for help.