True Portability

• 3 November 2019
  • 6 replies

Are there (there should be) plans to increase the portability of the system, so if I'm listening to an album or play list at home, that there might be an option in "rooms" to play through phone, so it can play out through my phones speaker or earphones say if I want to go for a shower, or if possible to just continue to listen this way if want to leave the house it could be a fully enclosed system, rather than what I can listen to in 3 rooms when I'm at home.... Just a thought... 

6 replies

The controller app is just that: a controller. All the playback is done via the hardware. The app tells the players what to do.

The phone app is no more capable of playing audio than your TV remote is of displaying a TV channel.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Some music services already do this. I use Pocketcasts and progress is communicated back to their servers so if I listened to a podcast on Sonos and then hooked up the iPhone app and selected that podcast it would continue where Sonos was stopped.

I don't know if Sonos has an audio book service integration but if it does I assume t works in the same way.

As for music I don't really see the need for similar except possibly for long single pieces

The controller app is just that: a controller. All the playback is done via the hardware. The app tells the players what to do.

The phone app is no more capable of playing audio than your TV remote is of displaying a TV channel.

And a speaker is just a regular speaker that's WiFi enabled, surely it wouldn't be difficult to create an app that simulated this for the phones speakers? It could be a seperate app on the phone or included natively on the sonos app. 

Some music services already do this. I use Pocketcasts and progress is communicated back to their servers so if I listened to a podcast on Sonos and then hooked up the iPhone app and selected that podcast it would continue where Sonos was stopped.

I don't know if Sonos has an audio book service integration but if it does I assume t works in the same way.

As for music I don't really see the need for similar except possibly for long single pieces

Yeah I have a continuation with audible, but it can be a little hit and miss, my thoughts here are just if I'm mid song or mid album and want to grab my coat and walk out of the house, I've to go to the streaming service and find the album and its just a very (slight) inconvenience, it'd be deadly if I could just hit a button in sonos app and either the streaming service app takes over the feed on the phone or sonos app may do this itself 

And a speaker is just a regular speaker that's WiFi enabled, surely it wouldn't be difficult to create an app that simulated this for the phones speakers? It could be a seperate app on the phone or included natively on the sonos app. 

And then immediately go out of business, because everyone would then use a piece of free software as a Sonos player. This idea has been doing the rounds since 2005.

And then immediately go out of business, because everyone would then use a piece of free software as a Sonos player. This idea has been doing the rounds since 2005.

Hardly, if you want a linked home speaker system you're gonna buy sonos, if you just want to stream to a single output get a Bluetooth speaker