Answered

Trouble connecting the last component to my 5.1 set up

• 3 December 2017
  • 23 replies

Badge
I have tried setting up my system in different orders and every time I am running into a problem with the last speaker connecting. I have a playbar, a sub and two play 1's. I tried setting up the playbar first every time but then switch going play 1's first then the sub first. Every time I go through the set up everything works perfectly fine until I get to the last component. Anyone else run into this issue?
icon

Best answer by doublej523 4 December 2017, 21:15

Thank you for your help! A member of your team was able to login remotely to my system and figure it out. My new internet company provided a router that is on the list of being incompatible. He was able to change the settings on the router and I am now finally good to go. Thank you for everyones help with this issue.

Sonos products and their support team are top notch!
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would hook on of the speakers to your router and see if you can get them all paired via sonosnet. Then you can go into settings.... advanced... WiFi setup and resetup WiFi only if you want.
Badge
Thank you, have you ever heard of modems provided by the cable companies being the issue? I recently moved and had my system set up no problem. When I try to do the same here it just won't work both wired and wireless.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Are the play 1s setup as a room and working as a pair themselves.
Badge
I can set them up as a seperate room and it works. Right now I have the playbar and the two play 1s working together. I just can't add the sub. I have been working on this for probably 3 hours. It feels like it is almost a limitation of the modem or something. Which would be weird since I am paying for the highest speed available through Century Link.
Userlevel 1
Badge
When you have the play 1’s set up as a sesperate room. Do you have the playbar and sub setup at the same time in another room grouping? Or is it just play1’s setup as a pair and playbar and sub not setup?
Badge
I am trying to set it up as two rooms now. I have the playbar and the sub connected as one room and working on setting up the two play 1s as another. I am setting up the second play 1 now.
Badge
That did not work either. It just won't let me add the 4th device for some reason.
Userlevel 1
Badge
If it doesn’t let you add it sounds like you don’t have enough addresses available from your dhcp server.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Do you have laptops or tablets using your network in the house as well if so turn one or 2 of them off reset you router and try again.
Badge
That is a bit over my skill set, I am assuming that is not something I have control over.
Userlevel 1
Badge
By turning off a laptop and tablets and unplugging and plugging back in your router / modem you are freeing up an address then try to set the surround configuration back up
Badge
I tried everything! Powered everything off except my phone and reset both the modem and the router. Still nothing, I even tried to hard reset all the players and start a new account. Nothing, I think I am giving up for the night. Thank you for your help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It is not an issue with your network speed as far as your provider. It does sound like your router is a bit overwhelmed from the WiFi side. Try plugging the playbar by Ethernet cable into your router. Give it a few minutes. Then Try pairing in the last devices.
Badge
I currently have my playbar wired and have tried all three channels 1, 6 and 11. The farthest I have been able to get is to now have all 4 on the system. I have the playbar and the sub linked in one room and then the two play 1s in two different rooms. Bringing my total to 3 rooms. When I try to either stereo pair the two play 1s or add them to the surround, it lets me get to the final step but when it starts the process of setting up the speakers to work to gather it gives me an error. Not options to submit a diognostic report or anything either.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Might be a silly question but just a thought are both your play 1’s just that? Or is one of them a Sonos one with Alexa?
Badge
They are both play 1s. That have all worked together in the past no problem. So it must either be a software problem or a modem / router problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Submitting a diagnostic is in settings advanced. I would call Sonos as they should be pairing.
Badge
I am reading a lot of threads that it seems people are having the same issue since the last software update. When I try to pair the two play 1s it now recognizes them but when they try to start the step to allow the speakers to work together I get an error message that says check your network connection or if your speakers have power.

I the playbar wired to the router and I don't have any issues with connecting to the internet. I am honestly lost on this one and have put in almost a day and a half trying to figure it out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Have you tried doing the process from a different controller
Badge
Yeah, I tried my phone and my iPad. I just submitted a diagnostic report, hopefully they can help me tomorrow. Thank you for all your help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If it doesn’t let you add it sounds like you don’t have enough addresses available from your dhcp server.

This is what I'm thinking you're running into. It sounds like the router isn't assigning out enough addresses, each of your Sonos devices takes one up.

If you want to try and check this yourself, you'll need to log into the router's settings and see under LAN or DHCP how many addresses, or what the range is. For example, if it's giving out from 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.10, only 9 addresses are being assigned, and you can only have 9 devices turned on at one time.

I know that's a bit complicated, but here's another way to go, do you have any device that's connected to the wireless that you're not 100% going to be using for a little while? If so, power that device down. Then, reboot your wireless router, finally, try to set up Sonos again.

Assuming the router gives up trying to keep that address saved for the device you powered off, it should give it out to the last Sonos device and everything should be able to be set up. If it fails, it might not have given up the address, if it succeeds, likely that's the problem. Note that if it does succeed, the device you powered off won't be able to come back online until you go into the router's settings and increase the DHCP pool.

If you'd like a hand, I'd suggest you give us a call on our support line. Just submitting a diagnostic doesn't trigger any troubleshooting help, we get many diagnostics sent in all the time, so you need to reach out to the team via email, phone, or otherwise online, with that number.
Badge
Thank you for your help! A member of your team was able to login remotely to my system and figure it out. My new internet company provided a router that is on the list of being incompatible. He was able to change the settings on the router and I am now finally good to go. Thank you for everyones help with this issue.

Sonos products and their support team are top notch!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for letting us know!