Trade up discount issue

• 19 May 2020
  • 6 replies

Sorry if this has already been discussed (couldn’t find a thread), but I wonder if anyone has had a similar issue. Once I got over my anger at the ‘not updating legacy kit’ issue, I took some time out and despite being a hair’s breadth from leaving Sonos altogether, eventually decided to swallow my anger. With a number of legacy products on my system I couldn’t afford to just go and spend another £2k+ in one go to update. So, a few weeks ago I purchased 2 x Sonos1’s to replace two Play5’s. I received the 30% discount on them and thought no more of it.  I then went a few days ago to look at the Amp and Port to replace my old Amp Connect and Connect with a view to perhaps purchasing in the next few weeks. On my account it showed that the credit against these 2 items had already been redeemed.  I couldn’t see how as I hadn’t bought replacements for them. When I queried this with Sonos, they said they had applied the Connect and Connect Amp discounts against my recent purchase of the 2 x Sonos1’s (cheaper products).  Of course, that means that if I now want to purchase those Amp items, I have to pay the full price. Effectively, they have taken away £299.40 worth of discount on those items, by applying it to the much smaller discount of £119.40 that I received against the purchase of 2 new S1’s. It would appear to be at the whim of Sonos as to which legacy discounts are applied to any new products you buy. If they apply the highest discounts available to the cheaper products you buy, they will save hundreds on each customer’s discounts. They’ve saved £180 just by the way they’ve allocated my discount and I’ve effectively lost £299.40 worth of discount on a new Amp and Port. I feel like I’ve been ‘shafted’ by Sonos again. Surely, that cannot be right?   Anyone else had anything similar?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

What is stopping you from using the Play:5s for the products you now want to buy? The discount is always 30% off the new product

A few points to make here.  The checkout screen automatically applies the discount to the most expensive items in your cart (it is not a like for like credit discount), and you have the option to remove discounts as you wish.

Another other point to make is that you should have a trade up credit for every item you trade in.  If you used two credits and have none remaining, than not all 4 of the devices you want to replace are legacy?  Are you sure that you to replace everything you think you do to use the S2 system?

You also did not need to use two credits for the purchase of two Sonos Ones.  You could have bought a set of 2, which counts as a single item in your cart, and applied one credit to it.

If I were you, I would contact Sonos support either by email or phone call, tell them you made a mistake, confirm what speakers you currently have are legacy and the trade in discounts you have, and see if they can return a trade credit back to you.  I get why you think this was some how Sonos fault, but the terms of the trade up program are clear if you take the time to read them and read the text when you check out. 

John B  & melvimbe  Thanks for replying. From what you’ve said it may be that I have misunderstood. Despite the fact that they’ve already applied discount through the Amp trade-up (on the recent speaker purchases) are you saying that if I go to checkout now with say a new Amp that they will still apply the full 30% discount on the Amp ie 30% of the £599 price? So, in effect, it doesn’t matter which items they apply, as you get the 30% discount on each legacy product that you redeem, no matter what the new purchase is. Is that correct? 

Yes, that is my understanding. 

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/tradeup

John B  & melvimbe  Thanks for replying. From what you’ve said it may be that I have misunderstood. Despite the fact that they’ve already applied discount through the Amp trade-up (on the recent speaker purchases) are you saying that if I go to checkout now with say a new Amp that they will still apply the full 30% discount on the Amp ie 30% of the £599 price? So, in effect, it doesn’t matter which items they apply, as you get the 30% discount on each legacy product that you redeem, no matter what the new purchase is. Is that correct? 

Yes. Login to your account and you should see trade in applied.  During checkout you can remove discounts you don’t want to use yet.  If you traded in 4 legacy devices, you have 4 trade in discounts you can use on 4 different items.  it sounds like you used 2 of them already.  I still will contact support, because you could have used 1 discount to buy a pair of Sonos Ones.

Thanks for your advice.