Top 5 Sonos feature requests

• 17 November 2008
  • 146 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
It's been a while since we had one of these threads and since then we've had the launch of new software, incorporating the much requested last.fm, and a new iPod/iPhone based controller.

Sonos have ticked a lot of boxes for owners with these new 2.6/2.7 releases, so where does that leave you when it comes to new features? There are hundreds of ideas on the forum, but which are your most important ones? Which would you like them to implement before all others?

If each forum user were to post their top 5 features, this might give Sonos a good idea of where to go next and how to prioritise new features for a future release. I suggest people list a maximum of 5, to focus on just the most wanted functions.

Here are mine:

1) Virtual Zones - Ability to semi-permanently join 2 or more ZPs together and assign them a single name to appear in the zones list. This way you can add/remove this virtual zone in one click - not continually adding/removing the individual zones.

2) Timed zone grouping - With an alarm based trigger, it would be nice to be able to link/unlink specific zones at defined times automatically.

3) Line-in alarm - The ability to set an alarm to play an external source at the requested time.

4) Napster UI improvement - It works just fine but I'd like, for example, the ability to easily see the artist name in the new release albums list.

5) Digital line-in - Allow an external source to be connected through co-ax or optical digital connection.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

146 replies

Userlevel 2
I would add to this:

- easy editing of playlists (even those that are not currently played).

-
Userlevel 2
Badge

Here are mine:

1) Virtual Zones - Ability to semi-permanently join 2 or more ZPs together and assign them a single name to appear in the zones list. This way you can add/remove this virtual zone in one click - not continually adding/removing the individual zones.

2) Timed zone grouping - With an alarm based trigger, it would be nice to be able to link/unlink specific zones at defined times automatically.

These would also be on the top of my list. In fact I just posted something similar in the Sound Ideas area a few mintues before reading this. I would like to take your number 1 and take it one step further by allowing these virtual zones to have presets for volume.

I also agree with your second suggestion. As I posted here a few months ago we have a Special Needs son that we are trying to potty train and have used the Sonos to help. We have The Potty Song set to play at specific times by using the alarm feature but as you state this is only for one zone, which usually works, but it would be nice to have this over the entire house.

Mike
replaygain :D

db
Userlevel 2
These would be my top 5.

1. Virtual Zones (including ability to link by Alarms)
2. Replaygain (full support for MP3 RG)
3. 100k Track Limit
4. WMP NSS search functionality (and support on iPhone controller)
5. More alarm configurability (ie specific days, and support for line in)

Ok, thats probably more than 5.... :D

Cheers
D2K
Userlevel 2
1) Use computer / iphone as zone.
2) Better playlist editing capabilties
Userlevel 2
While I'm extremely happy with my Sonos system and am set to expand it considerably when my extension is built the spring, there are a few things that would help:

1. More 'iPod like' view of the music library - textual lists is rather simplistic

2. Better volume output from ZP80/90 units - currently rather quiet, making for nasty shocks when changing inputs on AV gear

3. A smaller, more compact controller - if it can be worked via iPhone and iTouch then why does the controller need to be so big?

4. Better worldwide support for radio stations

5. For real improvement, a touch screen controller, so that users can configure 'hot buttons' etc.

Keep up the good work.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
For me the two biggest new features would be:

• Virtual Zones
  • Timed Zone Grouping
Userlevel 2
Badge
Actually, I'm very pleased with the current functionallity, I really appreciate how bulletproof it is.
I use it with a homemade NAS and have no issues with the entire system.

My one desire is to be able to use the pc the desktop controller is on as a zone.

Thanks for listening.
Jaypug
Badge

5) Digital line-in - Allow an external source to be connected through co-ax or optical digital connection.

I'm no expert, but I think this particular one might run afoul of the DMCA. I don't think there is any technical limitation with doing what you want, but I think the reason that Sonos chose analog inputs was to exploit to so called 'Analog Loophole'.

Anyway here's my list of 5:

1) Improved ReplayGain Support
2) Customizable menus & UI
3) More info on tracks (i.e. tags, size, file name & location, etc)
4) Optional ZonePlayers with Displays and the option for an IR controller (i.e. can work with current controller as well)
5) Smaller, lighter, single handed controller.

P.S.... and for the future
6) Built in Digital Dynamic Room Correction (along with a manually controllable parametric equalizer)
7) Integrated Smart Playlists like MusicIP or GeniusPlaylists
😎 Zone Bridges that can directly accept USB/FW/eSATA drives, and turn them into a NAS (we can call it a ZoneBase)

P.P.S....just came across an article that talks about Sonos and the Analog loophole
http://madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&opt=printable&id=4554
Userlevel 2
Virtual zones
Color Themes for the controller
Multiple clock display options
Userlevel 2
Touch screen controller, soooo much easier for Napster searches

Agree with pc as a zone

Fasntastic system though!!

Andy M
Userlevel 2
My requests mainly hardware!

1. 'Audiophile' ZP i.e. better DAC
2. Multiple input ZP - so can use as a very basic stereo or 2.1 AV controller too - lots of people happy with Stereo TV, DVD + 1-2 other inputs or like me have dedicated cinema room.
3. Linkage to a lyrics site to scroll on the controller
4. Analysis of your library & intelligent s/w to 'construct' proposed playlists with a theme - would help persuade folks to revisit some of their collection.
5. Room correction / calibration
Agree with the original 5 suggestions, and I'd add:

- Ability to connect a phone line to one of the RJ45 ports and have the whole house muted when the phone rings

And a new controller with a real keyboard would get my vote!
Userlevel 2
Portable Boombox type device!
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Ability to view all metadata, including lyrics, on the controller.
Userlevel 2
I would love to see a crossfade tracks option for those long party playlists of mine.

🙂
Userlevel 2
I would love to be able to choose (and thereby absolve SONOS of any responsibility for modifying my library) to have the ability to rate tracks (and albums) on the fly, recording to the metadata.

Then the ability to generate random playlists of random, say, 5 starred britishpop for, say, 3 hours.

Cheers,

Phil
Userlevel 2
I'm very happy with my Sonos system. Here's my top 5

1. MusicIP kind of playlist generation / better playlists
2. More functionality when playing tracks (e.g. find more music of this artist, find similar tracks - some kind of Last.fm technology (on your own tracks)
3. Automatic Gain Control of some kind to even out the worst volume differences (or MP3gain support - but i prefer having it all in the ZP)
4. Search though WMP servers like searching in the normal music database and being able to virtually integrate WMP streaming tracks into the normal music database (for easier searching)
5. Coverflow like in iPod/iTunes

And while I am at it here is number 6 and 7

6. support for more tracks 100k+ PLS!
7. Last.FM support for the Netherlands ;)

Keep the good stuff coming Sonos peepz!

Barnier
Userlevel 2
1. I am also quite pleased with it, but the 65k limit should definitively be raised to a MUCH higher level.
2. Search through WMP servers like searching in the normal music database and being able to virtually integrate WMP streaming tracks into the normal music database (for easier searching)
3. Virtual zones...

Thanks,
Dolfren
Userlevel 2
"Audiophile" zoneplayer, including 24/96 support, and wordclock input
Touch screen controller
Complete revamp of the desktop controller including the ability to open files which haven't yet been indexed, play after next, better editing of playlists
Ability to reindex individual shares rather than all your shares at once.
Userlevel 2
There are hundreds of ideas on the forum, but which are your most important ones? Which would you like them to implement before all others?

Here's my list, since it's a top 5, I limited it to things that affect overall functionality/usability of the system, at least in my household, rather than a simple "wishlist". Feel free to have your own list, just don't anyone tell me that my list is stupid :rolleyes:

1. View Lyrics tags on controller (karaoke!)
2. More space for more mp3/flac files (I can barely get half my library on at once)
3. Daily alarm options ('cause not all of us work M-F 9-5) and a "cancel next alarm" function for those odd holidays that fall on Monday or Tuesday
4. Use a touch-windows mobile device as a controller, the same as was done for iPhone
4a. (alternate): Update Sonos' handheld controller. (I love Sonos' ability to produce a quality controller, but we need one with updated technology, touch screen, thinner, lyrics view, etc)
5. Better control of playlists, especially the "on the fly" queue on the controller, which is really difficult to manipulate
Userlevel 2
My idiosyncratic list:

1. Albums sort chronologically in per-artist listing.

2. Daily alarms (I could use alarms with this feature).

3. Built in web interface, so any web-enabled device would work as basic controller.

That's all I can think of.
Userlevel 2
1. Support XM Radio
2. Support XM Radio
3. Support XM Radio
4. Support XM Radio
5. Support XM Radio
Userlevel 2
I really enjoy this product.The only network product that doesnt act like a network product.Never crashes or requires reboots---Just plain solid.
1.Iphone interface is great but needs 2 alarms and sleep timer.
2.Desktop controller software needs to be re-skinned or have alternate skin to be optimized for tochscreen.Needs to be fun for browsing, not just purpose-driven.
3.Option for Menu screen elements on Iphone interface be removeable so that customers cant get themselves into trouble.
4.Modules for Crestron that integrates with the same solid performance and speed of your current hardware.
5.New box (Video-on-demand)
Userlevel 2
The things I would like to see are:

1) More information on artist, album and song screens (eg. track number, year, genre, rating).
2) Auto Playlists (e.g. 10 songs per artist for a particular genre), at the moment getting certain genres for me can be heavily skewed towards one particular artist.
3) Last FM scrobbling per user/zone
4) Clock always visable
5) Faster boot time