Third party sub only with connect/connect amp, will it work?

• 11 August 2018
  • 1 reply

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies
I have been trying to research this topic with all kinds of confusion. I want to use an existing SVS subwoofer (paid a lot of money for) with a playbase only. Playbase is connected to TV with optical and I want to use my own subwoofer. I will not be adding any more speakers to this mix.

I would like to know if I can use the connect/amp just for the subwoofer to work with a playbase and if it will sync properly and the audio quality will be fine from the TV. Everything will be wired to network. I don't have interest in going all wireless.

I'd rather not buy another sub since I already have a good sub.

Thank you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

No, not really. You can connect the sub to the connect:amp, then group the connect:amp with the playbase to play in sync...sort of. The playbase won't act as if the sub is present, meaning that it will play it's normal full range of audio. It also will not be able to take the sub into account when using trueplay tuning. When playing from a music source, it will play in complete sync though I suspect it will sound odd for the above mention reasons. When playing with the TV as a source, your sub will be slightly behind the playbase creating an echo effect.

You've probably read that you can use the connect:amp to power a set of surround speakers with a playbase, and that is true. When you do that however, the subwoofer feature of the connect:amp is turned off, so it would be of no use to you.