sync problem using port (or connect)

I have a new Sonos port connected to a Yamaha receiver . I also have this grouped with a play 3 . (For the record i have dozens of Sonos components never have had a problem) When i play a pandora station Thru the port , grouped with the play3 , its terribly out of sync . Ive tried all kinds of different combinations , no luck . (Different Sonos ones, switched out the port for a connect etc) The port is connected to the receiver using a digital cable . Works fine by itself , but won’t sync when grouped . Ive read other posts about this problem , but i haven’t seen any resolution . Anybody know how to fix this ? Isn’t this supposed to work ? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Just to be very clear, you’re starting Pandora in the Sonos controller, and not on the Yamaha?

The reason I ask is that there would be a delay on anything played on the Yamaha, and sent to the Sonos via the CONNECT or Port. There’s a small delay to process the incoming signal so it can be played across all the Sonos ‘rooms’ at the same time. But since that delay has been already ‘paid’ when streaming from the a Sonos system to the Yamaha and its connected speakers, all of them would be in sync. 

Yes . Starting pandora in the Sonos app , streaming to the port (connected to the Yamaha ) and the play 3 . Not in sync .

Huh. Doesn’t make sense, but I guess if it did, you wouldn’t be posting here. So, I’d suggest a couple of things. First, I’d recommend that you reboot all of your Sonos devices, by powering them down and waiting a minute before plugging them back in. As a guess, there’s some sort of failure in the process Sonos is using to sync the ‘rooms’, and a reboot/reload of the software might fix that. 

However, if that doesn’t work, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are available Monday through Friday during business hours. Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution   

Is this an AV receiver?  If so, then the cause might be sound processing in the receiver.  Does the receiver have something like a ‘direct’ mode to cut out any such processing?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sending sound to an AV receiver and a sonos speaker from the port - the AV receiver can add processing delay

You want to put the dSP mode of the AV receiver in direct mode - I think Yamaha calls it straight mode.

It will then add as little delay as possible and therefore be more in sync with the Sonos speaker which is not delayed.

Is this an AV receiver?  If so, then the cause might be sound processing in the receiver.  Does the receiver have something like a ‘direct’ mode to cut out any such processing?

Tied that . It’s a little better , but not really useable . 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The delay is being introduced by the receiver - the sonos Port and sonos speakers are playing in sync.

Are you sure you got the straight mode on and all other processing turned off.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

what is your model #

Receiver is Yamaha Rx-a3030

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

So you have a pure direct button right on the front of the receiver….. pressing that should alleviate the issue.

i tried that it doesnt , it helps some ,but there is still a delay where its not listenable .

if this is an issue with the receiver are some receivers better than others ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’m surprise the pure direct causes an issue.   Are you inputting via digital or analog into the receiver.   Maybe it has something to do with the DAC in the receiver if your running digital ….. if so try analog red/white cables to the receiver and see if it makes a difference.  Actually I think the Pure Direct is geared toward the analog inputs so maybe it is your doing digital.

--- ah I see from original post you are doing digital cable - that could be causing the issue … try it with analog cable where the DAC in the Sonos is used instead (which is very good).

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

There is an Enhancer button on front - for the DAC that should be turned off - that adds processing of the input from the digital input.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

adaptive drc should be turned off

this amp has so many processing features no wonder you have issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

From Yamaha it sounds like you definately want to use analog inputs and Pure Direct

“The Pure Direct mode on my Yamaha AVR is intended for 2 channel analog connected source components - such as a TT or the RCA outputs from a CDP or SACD player.

Pure Direct maintains an analog path from the outputs of the source component all the way thru the AVR with NO A/D, NO DSP/AutoEQ, and no backend D/A to the output stages and to your speakers.”

Sounds like exactly what you are wanting.