Question

Symfonisk Remote - Controlling Individual Speakers

• 17 July 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I bought one of these yesterday but it doesn’t seem to do what I expected it to do.

When I pair it with a speaker, and then group that speaker with other speakers, the remote then controls the overall volume of the group, not the volume of that individual speaker within the group.

So it doesn’t behave like the volume control buttons on a speaker, as suggested by airgetlam in this (locked) thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/sonos-speakers-are-getting-a-cheap-ikea-wireless-controller-6826398

How can I configure this device to control only an individual speaker, even when it is part of a group of speakers?  Or is that simply not possible?  If so then I am quite disappointed.  I usually have the same music playing all over the house as I wander around, and my plan was to have one of these in each room.  But if each one will simply change the overall volume for the entire group, it wouldn't really work.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I bought one of these yesterday but it doesn’t seem to do what I expected it to do.

When I pair it with a speaker, and then group that speaker with other speakers, the remote then controls the overall volume of the group, not the volume of that individual speaker within the group.

So it doesn’t behave like the volume control buttons on a speaker, as suggested by airgetlam in this (locked) thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/sonos-speakers-are-getting-a-cheap-ikea-wireless-controller-6826398

How can I configure this device to control only an individual speaker, even when it is part of a group of speakers?  Or is that simply not possible?  If so then I am quite disappointed.  I usually have the same music playing all over the house as I wander around, and my plan was to have one of these in each room.  But if each one will simply change the overall volume for the entire group, it wouldn't really work.

Are you using the Ikea hub or a third party integration? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Ikea Tradfri Gateway 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Ikea Tradfri Gateway 

Ok sorry I can't be of help as I'm using the remote with a different smart control. 

Badge

Hello @Bumper  I have the same issue than @DunkirkPie  Did you solve the issue with your different smart control? If yes, which one? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hello @Bumper  I have the same issue than @DunkirkPie  Did you solve the issue with your different smart control? If yes, which one? 

Hi @davidng I'm using Smartthings and have set up both the Tradfri and symfonisk remotes. For $15 the symf remote is phenomenal.

I am using the standard ST set up which doesn't support adjusting  individual volume of grouped speakers.

Badge

Thank you @Bumper 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I’m using this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-Caseta-Wireless-Remote-PJ2-3BRL-GWH-A02/dp/B01LC7O9MY