Suggestions for selling legacy devices fairly/safely

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

So, I goofed, forgot about tradein, and got a Port to replace a ZP80.  I’ve noticed that prices of course have plummeted, for obvious reasons.  My ZP80 has only been in use for three years - I bought it NIB, still plastic wrapped, in 2016.  Other than the legacy issue, it should have years of life for someone not upgrading their whole system.

The problem of course, is how does a potential buyer know I haven’t traded it in?  How do I sell it and then not have someone claim it’s been recycled and demand money back?

Anyone have ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hey airforceteacher, I can’t give you too much advice on selling devices, but maybe the community will jump in with some thoughts. A potential buyer will only have your word to go on that it hasn’t been traded in, just the same as that it isn’t defective in some way. 

So, I goofed, forgot about tradein, and got a Port to replace a ZP80.  I’ve noticed that prices of course have plummeted, for obvious reasons.  My ZP80 has only been in use for three years - I bought it NIB, still plastic wrapped, in 2016.  Other than the legacy issue, it should have years of life for someone not upgrading their whole system.

The problem of course, is how does a potential buyer know I haven’t traded it in?  How do I sell it and then not have someone claim it’s been recycled and demand money back?

Anyone have ideas?

Well, the first suggestion is...don’t sell your ZP80.  Do a trade in and wait till your ready to buy another product

As far as letting the buyer know it’s not traded in, I would sell it at ebay or someplace with a return policy.  I think specifically saying that it’s not traded in will give some peace, as I would assume people attempting to trick you would not say that. Some buyers will be deterred still, but might be the best you can do.

As for the last question, not exactly sure how you protect yourself.  It would be great if Sonos could provide timestamps of when a product was registered and marked for trade in, but I doubt they could give that to you, or the market exchange (ebay), and the new owner isn’t going to share that info since he’s the one trying to cheat you.  The right answer might be to check out ebay’s dispute process.  Or maybe you just make sure you don’t sell to someone who doesn’t have a positive buyer rating.

Userlevel 7

@airforceteacher 

I’ve sold Sonos on eBay many times. The only caveat being they weren't designated as Legacy. However, even so I’d still list a Legacy product if I had one. Rules I follow (not in any specific order) to sell on eBay:

1. Take good pictures in decent lighting with a contrasting background. 
  2. Avoid casting shadows over the object
  3. Take pictures of all accessories. If missing say so in the description
  4. Don’t over hype the product
  5. Offer free shipping or flat rate based upon zip code from your location
  6. Be competitive in price
  7. I have an eBay reputation so I never offer returns. However if you are new you may want to offer a 15 day return.
  8. The saying that a picture is worth a thousand words is true. I’ve sold products at a higher price than others because I take good detailed pictures
  9. If there are blemishes over an above normal use mention them in the description and location on the product. Your picture should capture it.
  10. If you have original box mention that in your description and include a picture of it as well 
  11. If you don’t have the original packaging say so in the description such as...”Ships in generic packaging”
  12. I always ship my products over-boxed meaning the original product an packaging is packaged inside another box. 
  13. Selling on eBay is always at a slight lost versus what you actually receive from the buyer because of eBay and PayPal fees. Therefore when offering returns you’ll pay the buyer what they paid and you’ll eat the lost of the eBay and PayPal fees. However, always mention that return shipping is paid by the buyer.
  14. As far as mentioning that the Sonos product is not a trade-in...I wouldn’t. Answer that only if the buyer asks.
  15. As far as the product being Legacy I wouldn’t  try to explain that in my own words. You might mention that the product is in Legacy status but direct them to Sonos for more detailed information after inclusion of the official Sonos verbiage as shown below:

From the manufacturer:

Legacy products will continue to work with your Sonos system but will no longer receive software updates or get new features and services. If you have at least one legacy product in your system, your system will no longer receive software updates. Please visit the Sonos website for more information.

Note: eBay does not allow website addresses in postings

All said above if you can sell locally for cash is always the better option. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You could provide the buyer a screenshot of the Player Info screen, the last line is the trade status.

For a buyer I’d only hide the Household Control ID

Userlevel 7

@Stanley_4 

Where in the Sonos app did you find the information in your post or is it a 192.xxx.xxx retrieve?

Thanks in Advance!

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I think my biggest concern is that I’ll sell it, the buyer will trade it in themselves for the coupon, then accuse me of doing it beforehand and eBay/Paypal will take their side, and I’ll be out my money, the device and return shipping.

@Stanley_4

Where in the Sonos app did you find the information in your post or is it a 192.xxx.xxx retrieve?

Thanks in Advance!

You will find it here…

192.xx.xx.xx:1400/status/zp

Userlevel 7

@Stanley_4

Thanks in Advance!

You will find it here…

192.xx.xx.xx:1400/status/zp

Thanks!

Userlevel 7

I think my biggest concern is that I’ll sell it, the buyer will trade it in themselves for the coupon, then accuse me of doing it beforehand and eBay/Paypal will take their side, and I’ll be out my money, the device and return shipping.

I wouldn’t sweat it.

IMO if you exercise due diligence and are upfront about the speaker regarding it’s condition and legacy potential you should be OK. By offering a 15 day return you are showing good faith as a seller. The buyer can’t expect more and neither PayPal or eBay can penalize you if you refund the buyers money after you receive the returned product.

IMO if a buyer makes the claims you suspect...they were contemplating a scam in the beginning. Remember eBay nor PayPal have a police force that will show up at your door. :sweat_smile:

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you offer a return… Be sure to verify the buyer didn’t recycle the speaker while they had it.

Some of the internal Sonos web pages:  (replace my IP with your IP - keep the :1400)

http://172.16.1.111:1400/support/review

http://172.16.1.111:1400/status

http://172.16.1.111:1400/advconfig.htm

http://172.16.1.111:1400/tools.htm

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

It seems my concerns are OBE (overcome by events)