Question

Suggested Bluetooth Transmitter for Connect & Outdoor Speakers

• 28 November 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge
Has anyone successfully used a Bluetooth transmitter module with their Connect for BT speakers that will occasionally be used outdoors? If so, what product?

My goal is to simply extend whatever is being played on my Sonos system to my outdoor roof deck, which is L-shaped and approximately 400 sq ft. The Connect and BT module would reside in the landing just inside the roof deck, which is already confirmed to have sufficient internal signal strength as I have an existing Play 1 in that space which works perfectly. I do not want to use wired speakers due to the complications in layout and home construction, and in reality, I don't want nor can I have loud or full sound on my roof deck, just more of an ambient background thing.

I'm fully aware of the limitations and potential gotchas here--the reach of BT to the outside area, latency of what's playing outside via BT, separate sound control of the BT speakers, compromised fidelity etc etc, so in reality I'm just looking for confirmation that someone has used this approach successfully and with what particular BT transmitter they have experience.

I'm looking at the Avantree line of products, in particular the Oasis model, to use with a regular Connect to then pair with a set of portable BT speakers which will be used at times on the roof deck. There are cheaper models available, including from Avantree themselves, but I like the flexibility of the Oasis in the available inputs, use also as a receiver and the claimed extended BT range:

http://www.avantree.com/long-range-bluetooth-transmitter-and-receiver-avantree-oasis.html

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

I use the Avantree Oasis to Bluetooth enable by Sonos Soundbase. The default setting on my Oasis is 'Bypass' - which I use to connect my TV to Sonos (through optical in an out). And when I want to connect the Soundbase to a Bluetooth device (say my phone), I just toggle the Oasis to the Bluetooth receiver mode - simple!

The only issue though (and I am not sure why this happens) is that when I switch back from Bluetooth mode to Bypass mode on the Oasis, Sonos does not (say 50% of the time) detect my TV sound. So I am having to restart my Sonos on those occasions. I am sure this is an issue with the Sonos Soundbase and not with the Oasis because I have tested the same setup with another speaker of mine and this issue never occurs.

I know this is not exactly the setup you are looking for - but just wanted add my experience here with the Oasis. The product has very good range as well.
Badge
PManne, thank you very much for the helpful response. Even if not exactly the same setup I'm envisioning, it sounds like in general the Avantree product works with Sonos and, definitely important to my plans, has a good range too.
Badge
In follow up, I was successful in the outcome I had wanted and using the planned setup: a Sonos Connect, the Avantree Oasis BT TX/RX device, and two UE Boom 2 BT speakers. In order to pair the Booms to each other (UE calls it Double Up), I had remove their BT connections to my phone, and reset both Booms. This removes the ability to control the Booms from the phone app, so I had to ensure my settings for both were how I wanted them first (audible alert tones, etc). I first paired one Boom to the Oasis, and then used the manual "Double Up" method (speaker button presses) to link the second speaker to the first. If I paired each Boom to the Oasis separately, there was a noticeable lag between the two. While these BT speakers will only be used on the outside roof deck, I noted little to no lag from the rest of Sonos speakers we have within the house. Furthermore, the inside Oasis' range is good enough to keep each speaker connected outside in the furthest corners of my 400 sq ft roof deck, even while needing to pass through a double-pane single door and concrete block walls.
I am building a townhouse and it will also have a rooftop deck. I’m thinking about the same Bluetooth solution however using powered Bluetooth outdoor speakers. They are rock speakers and plug into an outside outlet for power. Will I be able to variably control the volume on the Connect’s output to the BT transmitter so I will effectively have volume control of my Bluetooth speakers using the Sonos app?
Badge
Will I be able to variably control the volume on the Connect’s output to the BT transmitter so I will effectively have volume control of my Bluetooth speakers using the Sonos app?

Kunzman, in my particular setup, I do have the Connect set at variable output, and it works fine with the UE Boom 2 speakers in terms of direct Sonos volume control. However, those speakers also have volume controls on them, and that also allows direct adjustment of the sound (but of course that doesn't affect the Sonos volume setting for the Connect, which remain as they were until adjusted in the app).

In addition, the Oasis BT transmitter also has volume controls on it, but those only work in AUX input and not optical. While I'm using AUX input, I don't futz with those but initially ensured that the volume was all the way up on that.

Just as an update to my own experience, note that sometimes after non-usage I need to re-Double Up the Boom 2s, as just the one directly paired to the Oasis BT transmitter will be active. Easy enough to do, as that just involves simultaneously pressing the Up volume and BT buttons on the connected speaker and then a rapid double press of the BT button on the inactive speaker.
As for Boom 2, you have to connect it to Oasis and after that just connect the Boom 2 to other Boom 2 like you would have done it anyway. But if I'm not mistaken JBL products can connect even easier. If that's correct, there's one more reason why I prefer JBL Charge 3 over Boom 2.
Badge
As for Boom 2, you have to connect it to Oasis and after that just connect the Boom 2 to other Boom 2 like you would have done it anyway.

Yes, indeed, that's the "Double Up" function as UE calls it. I was just noting that at the time, after a certain amount of non-use, I had to re-link the second Boom 2 to the first. However, that behavior stopped at some point after I guess further Boom updates (would likely have nothing to do with the Oasis unit, since the first Boom 2 connection to the Oasis never stopped working).

And the only reason I got the UE Boom 2s was because of a sale and because they will only be occasionally used up on our roof deck. But I am happy with them, even if I kinda wish I waited for the subsequent and more recent larger Boom unit sales. 🙂