Successful and easy solution for Sonos Port output of 12 volt trigger to external amp.

• 18 January 2020
  • 2 replies

I took a stab at finding an adequate solution for hooking up my new Sonos Port to my Crown D-75A amplifier… it turns out it was easy, not finding help from any provided inbox instructions from Sonos, so I though I would share on the community forum.  https://www.nilesaudio.com/product/voltage-triggered-ac-power-strip-FG00242  This $200 product was on eBay used for $9… The 3.5mm cable cost me more than the relay box at Best Buy… I just had to strip one end to the IN terminal and plug the 3.5mm into the Port.  I leave my amp switch on, and then play my device (Sonos App, Airplay2, etc.), it activates my amp and I listen… And the after about a minute of dead air from pause or shut off, my amps power turns off.  Now I don’t waste power or have to get up and actually remember to turn off my amp… Fear not.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I’d like to take advantage of this solution. You mention a “relay box” - is a relay necessary with this implementation or can Port be connected directly to this power strip? If a relay is required can you tell me exactly which one to buy? Thanks so much! 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324196788122

It seems my previous link didn’t stay in this universe, but I noticed this on eBay….  it’s the same one.  The Niles, FG242 voltage triggered ac power strip.  Please note that this was a $200 new item, so this is a good price.  You will also need a mini jack cable and cut one of the end off it, mono preferable, but stereo will work… just pick the right pair of wires.  It works great… no extra relay needed, there is one inside already.  Just plug the amp into this.  I’ve since added a Sonos SL to the system and listen to streaming and laptop videos from the sofa with no cords from the source. 

Glad to be of help.