Answered

Sub + Port for turntable

• 23 November 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi all,

I’m currently running 2 sonos one’s and a sonos sub gen3. What I’m trying to do is understand the options for connecting my turntable

From what I can found, the Sub is not compatible with the Port. Does this also hold true when only using the line-in of the Port?

What other options would be available for adding a turntable into this setup? Do you need a Sonos 5 for this?

icon

Best answer by jgatie 23 November 2020, 21:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Your Sonos Ones and Sub are bonded  together into a single Sonos room. A port can’t be bonded with any other Sonos device, it’s always a room all by itself.  However, any Sonos room can be grouped with other rooms to play music in sync. So yes, you can the Port to your Sonos sytem, you’ll have two rooms.  You don’t need to get a Five, but many fine it to be a better fit for their home since you get the speaker as well as the aux port.

To add to the above, you will set up the Port as a separate room (call it ‘Port’).  Then go into the setup for the Port and set Autoplay to ‘On’ and the default Line-In Room to be the room with the Ones/Sub.  That way, anytime you put the needle down, it will automatically start playing on the Ones/Sub.  

You could leave your Sonos Ones stereo paired and bonded with the Sub and add any Sonos product with a Line-in, such as a ‘Port’ or a Sonos Five for example, to which you can then attach a Turntable/pre-amp to output its line-level audio to the Sonos One room & sub.

Its just a bit of an expensive audio line-in for your system, so my personal suggestion would be to go with the Sonos Five speaker and make use of that (great) speaker somewhere in your Home and locate the turntable nearby (if that is at all practicable)?

Thanks for all the quick reactions, very helpful. And happy to hear that it is possible to combine the port this way. 

I recon all that is said for the Port also holds true for the older Connect right?