Answered

Sub Gen 3 wrong power cable

I pre-ordered a Sub gen 3 and it arrived last week (10th June) with the wrong power cable.

Contacted Sonos and new cable shipped which arrived today (15th June)

The new cable doesn’t fit snug in the power outlet and so I cannot power on the sub.

I have emailed support (it’s after 6pm) and have reply saying they will contact me in 7 days.

I am obviously gutted and will contact them again in the morning - anyone else have problems with power cable fitting on the new Sub gen3 or is it just me?

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 16 June 2020, 19:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Does the replacement cable not have a round flange which fits into a recess in the base of the Sub? 

Hi,

the original cable I got with the Sub was for a Play 1 - “L” shaped.

Photo of the replacement cable I receieved today  https://1drv.ms/u/s!Auiq-sC8kcgpg-kQ7NkvdsnSWZ7NQw?e=XAAkj7

Although this is a “8” cable it doesn’t fit snugly and just drops out when the sub is standing upright and won’t stay in place even when the sub is on its side.

Thank you for your help/interest!

I'm unable to access that photo. Just include it in a post. 

That's the cable for a Gen 2 Sub. 

Third time lucky?

Ratty,

Thank you - I thought I was going mad - I have a number of Sonos speakers and never had a problem before, things just worked.

I will try again

Teething problems presumably. There have been one or two cases where a Sub Gen 2 cable was included, which is almost understandable, but why they packed a Play:1 cable initially defies belief.

I pre-ordered a Sub gen 3 and it arrived last week (10th June) with the wrong power cable.

Contacted Sonos and new cable shipped which arrived today (15th June)

The new cable doesn’t fit snug in the power outlet and so I cannot power on the sub.

I have emailed support (it’s after 6pm) and have reply saying they will contact me in 7 days.

I am obviously gutted and will contact them again in the morning - anyone else have problems with power cable fitting on the new Sub gen3 or is it just me?

Mine arrived the same, 90 degree bend in it that just jams up against the angled side of the sub frame. Had to use one of my spare leads to connect properly. A big oversight for a £700 piece of kit!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Dear Sonos

Please use the same cable connection style on all of your products. 

Many thanks in anticipation…

Bit more digging and I found this….

Sleek Design To Fit Any Room

The Sub (Gen 3) boasts refreshed design features including a flat power cord to avoid cables getting tangled and a round join button for a more ergonomic design. The premium aesthetic and sleek design comes in a choice of gloss black or white finish to suit any room.

If you are looking for a more discreet look, the Sub can be laid flat or even placed beneath a sofa without impacting the performance.

That’s the one. The figure-8 connector is the same as for a Beam etc, but the cord is flatter and more flexible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi everyone, if you’ve got a Sub gen3 that shipped with a power cord that has a right angle adapter on it, it’s the wrong cable, that’s the cable for the Sonos One. The support team can help you get the right one if you contact them, they are a bit busy right now. It’s probably fastest over Twitter or Facebook, but you can get all of the contact details here.

Badge

So these are the cables I’ve been shipped. The L cable with the sub and the other as the replacement.  

neither work and still waiting on a replacement. 

disaster

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

The Sub gen 3 uses the cable with a rounded end like this:

On a flatter cable like those two. That second one you posted will work fine, it’s the cable from the old Sub and Playbar (and many of our other components). But if you’d like to get the right one, you can reach out to our team and make sure to let them know you have a new Sub Gen 3. 

Badge

The Sub gen 3 uses the cable with a rounded end like this:

On a flatter cable like those two. That second one you posted will work fine, it’s the cable from the old Sub and Playbar (and many of our other components). But if you’d like to get the right one, you can reach out to our team and make sure to let them know you have a new Sub Gen 3. 

Ryan the second option doesn’t work as the flange on it is too wide to fit securely. 

support is sending me another replacement. I just wanted to know what I should have, rather than ‘one that will do’