Sub Gen 3 concers with the glossy finish

• 15 March 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi all!

I’m about to dive in the Sonos ecosystem and buy the Arc + Sub Gen3 + Ones or Ones SL for surround satellites.

Yet, I have one thing that keeps echoing in my head and gets me a bit reluctant: how well does that glossy finish of the Sub Gen 3 holds up with time?

Being the sub a speaker that’s on the ground, it is prone to get hit in various situations, like when vacuuming the room, or other daily situations.

I fear the glossy finish turns into a nightmare of scratches that would ruin the looks of it.

How well does is cope with this?

I deeply appreciate your inputs.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

I have a black glossy Sub and apart from the ‘usual’ slight gathering of dust, it’s been fine as far as the finish is concerned. I’ve never actually bashed it with the vacuum cleaner, as we tend to pick it up and sweep underneath (😂 ha ha) - perhaps not that often, truth be told, as it’s in an awkward spot.

I do use an antistatic ‘mit’ to wipe away any surface dust… I’m not noticing any surface scratches, but the dust here is quite light anyway, the Sub is on the floor beneath a table/shelf.

I like the Sub for the way it sounds anyway. So I’m not overly bothered about small marks that might be seen close-up, or under certain light conditions, but I guess if you’re going to bash it regularly with a vacuum, then it may get a scratch, or two, like any other highly polished surface.

Note there are wrappings & covers available for the Sub from 3rd parties, if that may interest you at all - you can discover those on Amazon or perhaps via a browser search.

I can’t really comment on such coverings however, as I’ve not tried those things. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I do not intend to bang it with the vacuum cleaner or anything else, obviously :grin:

Yet, these accidents happen and I wonder how will the sub behaves with time.

Aside form this doubt, I read the thread in which people complain about humming and ticking sounds, and for which replacement units are not solving the problems.

This got me really unsure whether to buy the sub or not…

@marinheira,

I don’t know if this might assist you further with your decision, but here too is a link that leads to the Sonos 100-days returns policy, which covers the situation if you’re not happy with any of their products when you purchase direct from Sonos, but perhaps check if these things will apply to yourself.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5030

The decision to purchase is yours of course, but I hope the link assists.

I would also suggest that the majority of users never experience an issue with their Sonos Subs. I have had two of them for many years, and never had an issue. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@marinheira,

I don’t know if this might assist you further with your decision, but here too is a link that leads to the Sonos 100-days returns policy, which covers the situation if you’re not happy with any of their products when you purchase direct from Sonos, but perhaps check if these things will apply to yourself.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5030

The decision to purchase is yours of course, but I hope the link assists.

Thanks for the tip. It’s reassuring.

Yet, I just want it to be working with no issues.

Hate having to return or replace things.

Understood. To be honest, sitting here at my computer, I can’t even bring to mind where my Subs are located specifically. After about a week, they tend to fade, mentally, into the background and consequently are unobtrusive. In my last home, I’d put one under the couch, and one under the bed, but in my current abode, I’ve not done that, they’re just somewhere in the “room” and I pay little to no attention to them. 

With any piano finish, take care as you dust the unit. Avoid touching the unit as much as possible. I have a brightly colored large, square  handkerchief, rotated at 90°, covering the top and draping down the sides. It adds a bit of color to the room and protects the top from dust.