Sub addition & placement

• 9 September 2018
  • 9 replies

I am looking to purchase the sub to complete my current living room sonos setup, which currently comprises of a playbase with two ones as surrounds. I don’t really want to place the sub at the side of the tv unit though, so was looking to place it horizontally in either of the two locations drawn on the photo. I am concerned though If this placement would give the benefit the sub undoubtedly adds??
Any advice welcome before I drop another £700 ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Any takers for advice??
I wouldn't be a fan of enclosing the SUB in a cabinet, honestly. In your situation, I'd put it vertically behind that table to the left of the cabinet.

That being said, SUB placement is much less critical than pretty much every other speaker, since the frequencies are significantly harder to "locate" with your ears.

I actually have the SUB set up lying flat under my couch, which gives me great impact when watching movies.

The nice thing about a "wireless" device is all you need is a power plug, so you can set it up and move it anywhere for testing, without significant issue. Find what suits your own ears, and type of play.
Thanks for replying ? I wasn’t too keen on putting it in the cabinet really, it’s more for neatness than anything.. I did think about behind the table, but thought it might not be great against the radiator. It could go against the wall on the other side I guess.....but yeah I suppose I can experiment.
That's the spirit! :)

Find what works for you. We're all individuals (cue the Monty Python scene from Life of Brian...."I'm not!) and what works for one of us doesn't have to work for all of us. It's one of the reasons I tend to stay away from the whole "what's the best setup" questions....It all depends on the individual's ears, preferences, and what kind of thing they listen to. Sure, I have opinions, but they're not terribly valid for most people, since I tend to watch TV and listen to bagpipe music a lot. Probably not a ton of people in the world who are as odd as I am!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you put it close to the radiator crank it up and see if the heating system carries sound to other rooms. It may not be an issue depending on the room but it can be aggravating in a study or bedroom.
Userlevel 7
Thanks for replying ? I wasn’t too keen on putting it in the cabinet really, it’s more for neatness than anything.. I did think about behind the table, but thought it might not be great against the radiator. It could go against the wall on the other side I guess.....but yeah I suppose I can experiment.

Hi Retac666

This is just my opinion as I own two subs...one in black and the other in white. I personally think the subs are gorgeous with their unique design and lacquerer finish. I have both prominently displayed with the Sonos brand exposed to view. Looking at your picture I think a sub would look great under the table in the foreground of your picture (the table with the orb on it). The look of the Sonos sub also garners a lot of conversation when people visit me. Sonically, the placement I've suggested gives the frequencies a solid wall to bounce off; or so it would appear. One, more point on care of the sub...always lightly dust with a damp cloth first in one direction then follow-up with a soft cotton or microfiber to bring out the shine. No need to apply a lot of pressure. Doing as suggested will mitigate fine dust particles leaving scratches on the finish which on a black sub will eventually make if look gray in appearance. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cheers!
Thanks AjTrek1, that was exactly the position I had in mind instead of under the TV....unfortunately it is just slightly too big to fit under there. It’s frustratingly close, and would have been perfect - Hidden enough that the OH wouldn’t moan about it, but sonically as you pointed out, also close to a wall.
I have put it on the upper shelf of the unit for the time being and tbh it does make a bug difference and sounds good, but would probably sound even better where I want to put it.
I may look to see if I can remove the side bars from the table, as that would just allow the sub to sit under there perfectly.

Thanks for the input - much appreciated ?
Userlevel 7
Hi Retac666_You could place the Sub in the space along the wall between the TV and the table or maybe behind the table; unless that would push the table too far out or you think it just doesn't look appealing. Just a suggestion :8