Struggling to hook up my AT-LP120-USB to my Play 5 gen 2

• 11 January 2017
  • 10 replies

Followed all the instructions and no sound coming from speakers.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Make sure you have it set to output as Pre-amp "LINE"
1) As stated, be sure you are connecting via pre-amp output.

2) Adjust the line-level input to make sure it is not too low.

3) Are you choosing the Line-in from the Sources Menu?

4) To have the Play:5 automatically play when the line-in senses audio (aka when the needle hits the record), set Autoplay to 'On' on the Play:5 in Settings->Room Settings->(Play:5 room name)->Line-in Settings.
Make sure you have it set to output as Pre-amp "LINE"
Thanks Stuart, have it switched to Line and I can hear the low hum from the speaker which increases as I increase the volume; however, no sound from record?

4) To have the Play:5 automatically play when the line-in senses audio (aka when the needle hits the record), set Autoplay to 'On' on the Play:5 in Settings->Room Settings->(Play:5 room name)->Line-in Settings.

Thanks jgatie,
1. Yes connecting with the hard wired cable and the provided RCA cables to the input on the back of the Play 5.
2. Not sure I know how to adjust the line level input to make sure it is not too low, can you please advise?
3. I'm assuming you're referring to the selection from the sources menu is in the Sonos App (at the office now cannot access app) and selecting the line in which I've done.
4. Yes followed those instructions from the website last night....no joy?
Make sure you have connected the RCA cables to the Line-in RCA's. It is easy to mix them up with the Line-out.

You also need to switch the turntable's pre-amp selector switch (#29 in the manual) to "Line".

The line-level input is under Settings->Room Settings->(Play:5 room name)->Line-in Settings.

These should clear up any problems you are having.
Make sure you have connected the RCA cables to the Line-in RCA's. It is easy to mix them up with the Line-out.

You also need to switch the turntable's pre-amp selector switch (#29 in the manual) to "Line".

The line-level input is under Settings->Room Settings->(Play:5 room name)->Line-in Settings.

These should clear up any problems you are having.

Thanks jgatie,
I have switched the turntable's preamp selector switch to line, I set up the the line level input as well and still no sound. I hooked the hardwired rca cables from the back of the turntable to the female y cable with male input cable and plugged that into the single input on the back of the Play 5 gen 2. When I have the preamp selector switch on phono I correctly get no sound but when I switch it to line I hear a low hum which increases when I increase the volume but nothing/no sound from the record. I wonder if the unit is faulty??
Find a 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo cable and hook it up between your phone and the Play:5, then play something on the phone. Choose the Line-In source via the Sonos app and see if you hear the phone audio. That will tell you if the Play:5 line-in is operating properly. If it is, the problem is in the RCA-to-3.5mm cable, or the turntable.
Find a 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo cable and hook it up between your phone and the Play:5, then play something on the phone. Choose the Line-In source via the Sonos app and see if you hear the phone audio. That will tell you if the Play:5 line-in is operating properly. If it is, the problem is in the RCA-to-3.5mm cable, or the turntable.

Thats a good suggestion, I will try that later tonight when I get home. I did however, try plugging the turntable directly into my Mac's headphone jack to see if it would play through the internal speakers and got nothing.
The headphone jack would be an output. You would need to plug it into the line-in input on the laptop.
The headphone jack would be an output. You would need to plug it into the line-in input on the laptop.
That explains that then.