Streaming from iMAC

• 8 December 2018
  • 2 replies

I am producing music in iMAC and Logic and wish to stream the output to my Sonos system. I have tried the Audiobridge software but the delay makes it useless for me. Now I am wondering if a Sonos Connect could do the thing? I have not seen any specification of the delay time. Is it milli micro or seconds?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

All analog inputs for Sonos devices (the CONNECT and the PLAY:5) incur a minimum of a 70 to 75ms delay. As near as I can guess, this is to convert to digital, and to buffer so that it can be played in sync across all connected Sonos devices. My understanding is that it can be longer, depending on the settings you have for the analog input, but there's no way to make it shorter using an analog connection.

I've not tried it, but I'd assume that the input delay is substantially smaller on the digital inputs, which are available on the PLAYBAR, PLAYBASE, and Beam, since they have to synchronize with a TV image. But they also connect using a 5Ghz signal to the surround speakers...and I believe you end up, if you're sending the signal to another (outside that "room") speaker, you end up paying that 70 to 75ms delay. Again, most likely for buffering.

This is one of the major reasons, I believe, that Sonos is not marketed as a "computer" speaker. The intent is for it to stream something which is not time-sensitive from the internet, and play synchronously across multiple speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, bodal. Thanks for the post.

I, too, produce music on my PC and have the output going to a Sonos Amp. This brings all my computer audio to Sonos, so when I am working on a track on the computer and it's time to make dinner, I can re-listen to my work (or maybe even a cool DJ set on YouTube) while making dinner in another room in the house.

I wouldn't recommend using it for any performance use (DJing through Ableton or using Traktor, for example) for the exact reason you and Airgetlam describe. Sync is a killer for any real-time audio use / performance on Sonos.