Static interference from Sonos on electronic hearing protection

• 17 January 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I recently purchased a pair of 3M Peltor Comtac III hearing defenders, a high quality set of electronic hearing protectors. For those who don't know what that is, they are hearing protection with microphones and when there is loud noise they block it out, but having conversations when quiet is easy. They unfortunately pick up static interference in the electronics when near my Sonos speakers. My Play:5 has it from the furthest away, the Play:1 I have to be pretty close. If I turn my head the static is always louder in the ear closest to the speaker. I suspect it is somehow affecting the amplifier in the headset. While this isn't a huge deal in real life, I enjoy my Sonos and also this excellent ear pro, but it is concerning that these Sonos speakers are obviously emitting something they shouldn't be. I cannot reproduce it on the headset with any other audio equipment I have, wifi APs, computers, radios etc.

Maybe this is something your engineers can look at for future revisions.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm pretty sure all Sonos gear goes through an FCC certification process so it isn't likely that they are emitting more than the allowed RF levels.
Do your hearing protectors react to any other active WiFi transmitters?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
As I said "I cannot reproduce it on the headset with any other audio equipment I have, wifi APs, computers, radios etc." I've tried at work, all over my house, it is only with the Sonos.

It could be very well within FCC specs, but there is clearly something being emitted, that's all. Not an accusation of wrongdoing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Probably time to directly contact Sonos support then, phone or twitter are your best bets.