Speakers and line out at same time?

• 3 November 2006
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
I want to use my ZP100 Zone Player to directly power speakers in my living room, with the volume controlled by my Zone Controller. At the same time, I would like to send the signal via the line-out with fixed output to another amplifier that will control the volume of the music played through a different set of speakers. Thus, both sets of speakers will play the same music, but the Controller volume switch will only control the volume of the speakers directly connected to the Player; it will not have any effect on the volume of music played through the other amplifier and speakers. Is this possible?

9 replies

Tom in mpls, you connect a ZP100 to speakers via speaker-outs and an external amplifier via the line-outs simultaneously, and Sonos will output the same audio to both.

However, the volume of the two outputs are tied together. If you change the volume, this affects both the speaker-outs and line-outs.
Userlevel 2

However, the volume of the two outputs are tied together. If you change the volume, this affects both the speaker-outs and line-outs.

Yes, Malcolm, thank you. I know I can do this. But I want to change the line-out from variable to fixed output, so that the line-out volume will NOT change when I adjust the speaker-out volume. Will it also work in this configuration?
tom in mpls,

Keep in mind that when you set Line-Out to "fixed", the speakers connected to a ZP100 will be muted. (it makes no sense to run the speakers at maximum volume)

A software change to modify this behavior is not possible because the current ZP100 hardware ties Line-Out and the power amplifier to the volume control. A software command cannot break this connection. The ZP100 mutes the amplifier by turning off power to the amplifier.
Userlevel 2
tom in mpls,

Keep in mind that when you set Line-Out to "fixed", the speakers connected to a ZP100 will be muted. (it makes no sense to run the speakers at maximum volume)

A software change to modify this behavior is not possible because the current ZP100 hardware ties Line-Out and the power amplifier to the volume control. A software command cannot break this connection. The ZP100 mutes the amplifier by turning off power to the amplifier.

This is unfortunate. Other amplifiers will behave in the manner I would like; that is, the amplifier volume will control the speaker-out, and line-out can be sent with a fixed "volume". I am surprised that this cannot be achieved with the sonos hardware design.
tom in mpls,

This design aspect cuts both ways. Over the years I have been very frustrated by traditional systems that had a fixed level REC OUT. This is very inconvenient when attempting to connect an external power amplifier.

Some units had a second "Pre-Out" jack that would allow using an external power amplifier and the internal volume control. The down side of this feature is that some of the units used jumpers to connect Pre-Out and Main-in. If the user lost the jumpers, the unit was silent. Another group of products used an unreliable slide switch or switching RCA jacks to couple the preamp and power amp sections.

This has been a very diffucult battle for the industry to win.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
tom in mpls,

What you need is 2 zone players 😉
Userlevel 2
tom in mpls,

What you need is 2 zone players ;)

That solution was already obvious to me, but I'm disappointed to have to spend another several hundred dollars for a function that really should be built in to the ZP100.
Userlevel 2
Tom,

Keep in mind that ZonePlayers are designed to controll a Zone. You're looking for independent volume controll of two zones, not an unreasonable request, but not what the units were spec'd around.

BTW, for what you're looking for on the second zone the ZP80 is the unit that would be the best fit.

Best,
-graham
Userlevel 2

BTW, for what you're looking for on the second zone the ZP80 is the unit that would be the best fit.

Best,
-graham

thanks for the reminder