Sound quality w/ Connect + Onkyo receiver + B&W speakers

• 16 March 2018
  • 6 replies

Hello,
Brand new user here. Just bought a Connect and a One and so far I'm impressed with the overall experience of setup. The Sonos ONE sounds amazing on its own. However, I'm less impressed with the sound I'm getting from my Connect + Onkyo Receiver + B&W S3 speakers. It sounds very flat and very little bass when playing music through the Connect. Previously I was playing music w/ Pandora via Apple TV connected directly to the receiver and the sound was great. When playing through Sonos app + Connect, sound isn't nearly as "rich"

I've connected the Connect via an optical cable going from the Connect to the Optical "IN" on the Onkyo. Is there something else I should be doing to ensure I'm getting the best sound I can from these speakers?

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I guess you could check the volume on the CONNECT if you're using variable volume, and experiment with EQ and with Loudness on/off. I can play either AppleTV or CONNECT through my Yamaha receiver, each using digital optical feeds: both sound equally good for equivalent sources.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Are you sure the onkyo digital input doesn’t have some strange equalization setup for that input.

Try with the connect set to fixed instead of variable output to rule out issue with the connect.
Can you explain the difference between "fixed" and "variable" setting? I was playing around with that as well. I noticed that the Treble, Bass, and Balance adjustments had no impact on sound quality coming from the B&W speakers
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Fixed output sets the output of the CONNECT at 100% volume, and disables volume control via the Sonos apps or the volume buttons on the CONNECT. This means that volume control is done entirely by the receiver, and it provides a predictable, fixed output from the CONNECT, as you'd get with a CD player, for example.

Variable output scales the bitstream volume, meaning that the volume you hear from the speakers is a combination of the volume settings on the CONNECT and the receiver. Variable volume at 100% gives the same output as fixed.

The EQ settings should have an effect, especially balance. If the balance is fully over to the left, you should hear nothing from the RH speaker, for example. If that's not the case, then there's something wonky going on.
It may also be worth bearing in mind that as you are using a digital output from the Connect, you are bypassing the DAC in the Connect, so the Connect isn't really having an impact on sound quality.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hook up an RCA cable and try that to see how it sounds, it should sound pretty much identical unless some settings in the receiver are tweaking the signal.