Sound Quality Connect vs. Port

• 14 October 2020
  • 34 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I need to replace one of my Connects that is Gen 1 and therefore not Sonos II compliant. I will be picking up a Port to replace it.

My question: if you are using the digital output to go into an outboard DAC, is the digital signal presumably a pure unprocessed bitstream?  I had assumed that this would be the case with both units, but have read that if you use the Port even for volume level, you are implementing a layer of signal processing that may/will affect sound quality.  I do not know if that was the same situation with the Connect.

When I get the Port I will have the choice of using it in one of my high res systems where volume is adjusted by another unit or in a secondary system where I do use the volume adjustment of the Sonos unit.

Does use of volume control with the Port affect sound quality?

Does use of volume control with the Connect affect sound quality?

FWIW, I have found the on board DA conversion on the Connect to be adequate for background music but deficient for serious listening and assume that the situation with the Port vis a vis it’s on board DAC is the same or (according to some reviews) worse.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Plexamp. Unfortunately it costs money.

Is that streaming from a Plex server? If so, is anything happening there? 

I suspect the Plexamp software is playing a role in the issue mentioned here, as it’s description on the iOS App Store says it has in-built loudness levelling, a configurable pre-amp and parametric EQ. 

I don’t have a plex server setup here to go onto try out the software, but I suspect that is perhaps what might be at the root of the difference being heard in the audio here.

If the plexamp software suits, then the answer has to be to stick with what you prefer.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Looked at the settings: 

loudness levelling on.

EQ switched off.

Preamp at +4db

Server is on a 10th Core i7 Intel NUC

I’m definitely sticking with this configuration, especially as the App sticks to the Amp like glue; no annoying casting disconnects, restarts etc.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

It does make me wonder if all streamers are not the same though.

I’m definitely sticking with this configuration, especially as the App sticks to the Amp like glue; no annoying casting disconnects, restarts etc.

… until your phone gets distracted, or removed. Looping a stream out to a mobile and back again always carries risks. 

Looked at the settings: 

loudness levelling on.

What’s that in detail? Is it per-track gain adjustment based on data in the tags, or is it on-the-fly dynamic range compression? The latter could have a marked effect on the sound. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Evidently it carries out an analysis and marks each item with the dB gain in the Plex library, and then applies a volume adjustment when you stream.

So it just adjusts the volume. It’s on, and it surely won’t make it sound better. It certainly doesn’t sound louder when I do an AB, volume appears to be very similar with each source. Louder is often construed as better so it can’t be that.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

On the streaming issue via the iPhone, it is excellent. I think Plex gave it some attention recently. It doesn’t get distracted. If you close Plexamp, then reopen later it is connected to the Sonos Amp as before. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I switched from a connect to a port. I’ve got it feeding a rogue sphinx integrated amp and floor standing speakers. I thought about other alternatives (blue node), but I have a lot of sonos stuff in the house and did not want to deal with screams from the family. 

My perception is that the port was an upgrade from the connect on its own, sq wise. I’ve also experimented a bit and found that:

1. Having it feed a good external DAC, does make a difference. 
  2. Swapping out the power supply for an ifi power supply that reduces the noise of the switching power supply also made a difference, and is a cheap upgrade for about $50. More dynamic range. Better base. 
  3. If you are feeding an external dac (I’m using an Ares II) using an iFi Spdif purifier 2 made a noticeable difference. I was surprised. I think, however that  will be highly dependent on the DAC, and how well they filter and reclock the signal they get from the port.