Sound Level from Pro-Ject Essential III Turntable Not Loud Enough Using SONOS Connect

• 15 September 2018
  • 15 replies

I installed my new Pro-Ject Essential III Turntable into my SONOS Sytems using a SONOS Connect box that I had been using with an old stereo. I have the Line-In set up correctly with Line-In Source Level set at the Max of 10. Even with that high setting, the music only gets to a moderate level when playing on my Living Room Playbase and two Play-1 combination with the speakers also set to max volume. It is fine for moderate/casual listening, but not loud enough to “crank it” or use at a party.

Would the Connect-Amp provide more sound? Or, should I switch to Play-3 or Play-5s?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Do you have a phono pre-amp in place? I believe you need one with this turntable. The CONNECT requires a Line Level input.
It states that it has a “preamplifier” and it is the Pro-Ject Essential III that is advertised on the SONOS website in Accessories. Because it was out of stock at SONOS I found the same one on Amazon.
Also, I just disconnected a CONNECT AMP that I have powering outdoor speakers to see if it worked better with the Turntable. I have the exact same issue of limited sound on my other speakers. Wondering if the preamp in the turntable is just too weak.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I looked at the Essential III specs on the Pro-Ject website and on Amazon, and I see no mention of a built in pre-amp. What specs are you looking at?
The website shows there is a built-in preamp.

I don't see anything there that specifies which Pro-Ject turntable is included. That would define whether or not the pre-amp was built in.
Would you post the link to what you're cutting and pasting, please? I'm looking at the US website, and it has 3 separate turntables listed, non of which match what you are posting. Specifically, they're listed as: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Sonos Edition (Black), Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Sonos Edition (Walnut), and Pro-Ject Essential III Phono .

I don't see a listing for a "Vinyl Pro Set"
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Would you post the link to what you're cutting and pasting, please? I'm looking at the US website, and it has 3 separate turntables listed, non of which match what you are posting. Specifically, they're listed as: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Sonos Edition (Black), Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Sonos Edition (Walnut), and Pro-Ject Essential III Phono .

I don't see a listing for a "Vinyl Pro Set"

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/vinyl-pro-set-play5-pro-ject-iii-turntable.html
Listing doesn't state which Pro-ject turntable although address includes pro-ject-iii-turntable.
Dan,

Can you confirm you have set the preamp to Line Out... see attached images which may help you to confirm things.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Dan,

Can you confirm you have set the preamp to Line Out... see attached images which may help you to confirm things.

Thanks, but I'm not the OP. I was just posting the link for Airgetlam and anyone else who was interested as I found the link. Sonos.com could have described the Vinyl Pro Set clearer (I'd certainly like to know if I was buying), but the OP bought from Amazon.
Oh sorry Dan, that will teach me to scroll up the page. Hopefully though the post may help the OP and others to check they have a pre-amp built-in and that it is switched over to line-out.
Thanks, Dan.

As you say, it doesn't specify which turntable is included....but it does say that the turntable "Pro-Ject includes built-in phono preamp", so I'm guessing that the person who bought one at Amazon didn't purchase the same one that is included in the Sonos offer. It's unfortunate that Sonos doesn't have better specificity on which model it is.
Thanks, Dan.

It's unfortunate that Sonos doesn't have better specificity on which model it is.

It's the Pro-Ject Essentials III Phono. Same one as sold separately.
Understood. Should be called out in the package, was my point.