Answered

Sorry, we can't connect to sonos

• 3 January 2017
  • 6 replies

this is the second time in the same week I get the message sorry we can't connect to sonos. The first time I had to pull the plug on my router to sort it the second time it has not worked also i dont want to keep unplugging my router every week any thoughts.I have not changed anything only have a 1 and a 3 connected wirelessly.
icon

Best answer by jgatie 3 January 2017, 16:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. Rebooting the router may offer a temporary respite, but in reality it exacerbates the situation because the reboot simply loses track of the IP assignments all over again. You need to do a complete refresh:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.
I am curious whether this actually solved the issue?
I am curious whether this actually solved the issue?

It usually does. There are a few things that can go wrong during an update that can cause the symptoms seen. First is described above. The second is an "auto" channel selection on the router will change the channel to the one Sonos is using while the Sonos is rebooting, causing interference (Note, this is Boost setup only). Even rarer is if you have more than one DHCP server running, they will compete for IP assignments and Sonos can be split into more than one subnet when it comes back up.

Most of the time it is duplicate IP conflicts.
I don't have a Boost, but do still use a Sonos Bridge. Could that be an issue?
I don't have a Boost, but do still use a Sonos Bridge. Could that be an issue?

Could be. Bridge power supplies can go a little wonky and show connection problems. You can buy replacements for under $10 on Amazon. But try the network refresh first.
The bridge is essentially a hub in a way.. and it connects to your router, which acts as the router and handles routing and ip address assignment and such. Setting a static IP address and assigning it to your ZPs will fix your issue.