Sonos TV

• 4 March 2019
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7
  • Prominent Collaborator II
  • 114 replies
Will Sonos ever make a television or work with a TV company to produce a TV that is Sonos enabled?

The TV could connect to all the other speakers wirelessly, it would show in the mobile and desktop app / controller like existing sonos components do, you could use the TV as; a standalone Sonos speaker, standalone TV, Sonos intergrated TV or to display an overview of what is playing in selected rooms.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well, never say never, but I don't think it's a great fit. Sonos could do much of what you're suggesting by using the HDMI-ARC connection to display a menu screen. It would possibly be a benefit to have Sonos functionality available with other HDMI inputs, but not too much, IMO.

They certainly don't want to start producing TVs, as it's something they have no expertise in, and is already a rather competitive market. Perhaps they could do some sort of partnership like Amazon and Roku have done with their streaming tech embedded in phones. The big difference is though with Amazon/Roku, you don't have to buy anything else to take advantage of the functionality.

It's not that I don't like the idea, I'm just not sure it would compel me to buy a new TV. And I do feel like I'm be almost just as happy if the HDMI-ARC connection gave some data on the screen, even if it was a read-only layout of your setup.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
There is very little margin in TV's. It would be a tough sell.