Sonos sub in two rooms

• 16 June 2020
  • 2 replies

I have a living room that I have had to break into two rooms. 
Room 1 - Playbar, 2x Play 1’s for TV

Room 2 - Sonos amp with wired speakers for music

I also have a Sonos sub which I want to be able to connect to both rooms. When playing TV I don’t use the amp and wired speakers. Then when listening to music I want the amp and sub only, I don’t want my music being played with Playbar and 1’s. Sub is not moving, it stays in same spot in the room. I just need to be able to swap the sub between the rooms. I was hoping the new software was going to deal with this but NO. I know I’m not the only one with this setup problem. 

Please Help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Currently, the only way to move the Sub is to unbond it from its current ‘room’ and add it to the other. Losing any TruePlay tuning you may have done, incidentally.

If you check the threads in the forum, you’ll find it has been a frequent feature request, but so far there has been no indication that Sonos has any intention of supplying such a feature.

I may have figured a solution for this. Might work for others.

Room #1 as follows

Connect TV to Sonos amp with hdmi-ARC

Wired speakers connected to Sonos amp, fronts

Connect surrounds, 2xPlay 1, to Sonos amp

Connect Sonos sub to Sonos amp

Room #2 as follows

Sonos Playbar connected to TV with optical cable

Now if i want to listen to music with my wired speakers I can just select room #1 and have surround volume set to -15 and ambient for music

When I want to watch a movie I use Sonos amp, the playbar will actually still work for me in this set up if I have room#2 on

I can watch straight TV with only playbar if room #1 is set to music, but paused. I have had to turn the Sonos Amp setting to turn off TV Autoplay

I can't seem to get just TV with Playbar and SUB but it is only usually for movies that I want the big home theatre sound 

Still waiting for the option to have SUB bonded to two devices as I don’t listen to music and watch movies at same time.