Sonos Sub Dust trap

• 21 May 2019
  • 7 replies

Hi

I have my Sub tucked away behind the tv. Partly because the bass sounds good coming from the corner of the room and partly so that my wife won’t see it and ask how much it cost!

It looks like a real dust magnet and I’d like to put something over it to protect it. Would it cause problems with airflow, overheating, or would a thin material be ok to use?

( for Sun in the title please read Sub )

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Amazon sells a variety of speaker cloth, I'd look for some that is slightly elastic and make a slip on cover that fit snugly. That can also prevent cat and kid related object insertion that comes up here from time to time.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=speaker+cloth&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Thanks for that link.
ColorYourSound makes some nice (but expensive) Sub covers

Who would have thought there would be such a thing?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Amazon sells a variety of speaker cloth, I'd look for some that is slightly elastic and make a slip on cover that fit snugly. That can also prevent cat and kid related object insertion that comes up here from time to time.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=speaker+cloth&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
ColorYourSound makes some nice (but expensive) Sub covers
Thanks very much folks. I’ll give it a go with a nice light material.
I have a slip on cover over mine, made of thin cotton. No adverse effects of any kind, and it keeps dust away from the hard to clean ports on either side of the unit.
A thin, flexible covering on the top of the unit would be fine. You could even place a plant on top -- as long as the pot is not easily excited by the bass energy. Even though the SUB cabinet does not vibrate much, there is a considerable amount of bass energy in the area. It is common to discover loose items inside the walls or on shelves near SUB. I had to stuff some anti-vibration shims in my windows. In any case, don't seal the sides of SUB.