Sonos Sub difference

• 24 June 2018
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Hello, what’s the difference between these 2 sub?
What’s the newer one?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Also, which is the difference between product with black box and black/orange box? Which is the newest?
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
As far as i know there have only been 1 Gen of each. So i’m guessing the changea are either marketing/cosmetic/regional variations. I gather there used to be a matte black varient of the sub but is now discontinued.

I bought my Playbar in April and the box was identical to your middle photo, which matches the design of all the other packagingnon Sonos devices I’ve bought recently (black models anyway). So i expect that is the most recent.
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Maybe I’m wrong but I read somewhere that for the sub, like the play:5, there is a gen 1 and a gen 2...
The left SUB picture is the newer one. It simply had a cosmetic refresh.

PLAY:5 gen1 and gen2 are totally different players. Many have suggested the gen2 should have been called something different, such as PLAY:6 (it has six drive units).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The Gen 2 Play 5 also dropped the headphone output, a big surprise if you didn't read the details and just ordered another Play 5 like a big dummy. Oh, and pairing Gen 1 and 2 Play 5 is apparently a problem although I haven't paid a lot of attention to that topic. So yes, calling it a Play 6 would have been good, even a Play 5.2 would have helped.
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Play 5 gen 2 has the line in output. What do you mean by jack drop?
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Play 5 gen 2 has the line in output. What do you mean by jack drop?

gen two has line in. Not line out. So no headphones option.
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Ok now I understood:-)