Sonos Roam does not work with Sonos S1 App

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Just received my Roam today. 

Heads up for everyone as it’s not made clear anywhere prior to purchase that it’s only compatible with the new version of the app. 

This means if you have “legacy” Sonos products as part of your set up and use the S1 app to control them you won’t be able to see your Roam as part of your existing Sonos network. 

You have to download the new version of the app and then set up a new Sonos system to add the Roam to it. Then you have to add all your music services, any favourites etc etc again to the new app to be able to access them on your Roam. 

Pretty s*it experience to be honest, and annoying it’s not made clearer. 

By having “old” products Sonos doesn’t want me to have in my network I’m effectively left with a bog standard stand alone portable speaker. Struggling to see the benefit of it over a JBL Bluetooth speaker at the moment to be honest (build quality and sound quality aside obviously 😆). 

Anyway heads up for those of you still mulling over the purchase. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

78 replies

Well thank stinks! I’ve been a loyal Sonos customer since 2010 and have just bought a Roam and wireless charging base for well over £200 only to find it wont work with my system and that Sonos are not supporting their old products and that I need to buy everything again and “upgrade” to “Sonos 2”. I’ve no idea what to do? Perhaps return my new Roam for a refund and look at alternative systems? I feel no loyalty to Sonos and my intended soundbar purchase definitely won’t be Sonos now.

It’s so sad - like a betrayal.

I don’t understand why you need to upgrade anything here, just install the Roam to the S2 App and use it as intended, as a portable speaker. It doesn’t need to use your S1 setup at all.

Well thank stinks! I’ve been a loyal Sonos customer since 2010 and have just bought a Roam and wireless charging base for well over £200 only to find it wont work with my system and that Sonos are not supporting their old products and that I need to buy everything again and “upgrade” to “Sonos 2”. I’ve no idea what to do? Perhaps return my new Roam for a refund and look at alternative systems? I feel no loyalty to Sonos and my intended soundbar purchase definitely won’t be Sonos now.

It’s so sad - like a betrayal.

@LNB123, I don't understand how Sonos is supposed to make a unit work on S1 that didn't even exist when S1 was last updated?  How is S1 supposed to support the Roam when 1) It doesn't know what the Roam is and 2) It cannot be updated to know what the Roam is?

Sorry ...android phones retired!....leaded gasoline!!!!

Is this some sort of Sonos excuse company?!?

Really rather amusing to read

I had to retire a perfectly functional Android phone because the service providers are turning off the cell towers that support the phone. Regardless of the tower situation I would have retired the phone anyway because it could not be updated to run applications that I need for work. I’ve had similar issues with older iPads not being able to run current software needed for work. And I had to retire functional computers because they did not have enough resources to run newer operating systems and programs.

The public accepts, appreciates, and demands the feature and performance upgrades of the newer technology.

The attitude is completely different for audio equipment. Here it is buy once, stay compatible between new and old, and play forever. 

It’s also generational. For the young generation those old audio “boxes” are ridiculous old artifacts used by their parents and grand parents -- music belongs in the pocket. For the audio equipment producers those older people will never be customers as long as their “box” continues to function. It’s a tough business selling forever “boxes”. Most of the traditional audio companies from the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s are gone or have transformed into something else.

We’ve had technology revolutions before. Leaded gasoline faded away, glass TV picture tubes and the supporting broadcast technology have faded away, VCR’s faded away, generations of business and personal computers have faded away, only audio technology is forever.

Thank you John for sharing your opinion...

I am pretty hacked off that Sonos have (in their opinion) updated a system such that those early adopters and supporters are now deemed legacy users.  

What else could Sonos do? Longer term users are inevitably those with devices that cannot keep up with the most recent features.  'Legacy users' can still do everything they could when they bought the products, and more.  But this is all discussed ad infinitum in other threads.

As @Ken_Griffiths says, you .must do as you wish, but there is zero sense in your posts.

Thank you Ken....you are of course correct, I should have made myself aware of this by accessing this information rather than relying on Sonos to highlight this prominently on their sales promotion for the SL.  Sonos being rather poor in their valuation of, you know, their customers.  I will be returning this product for a refund.  I will use the money to buy a decent blue tooth speaker from, probably, Bose

I’m just a user like yourself,  but I really don’t see the point in exchanging the Roam for a ‘poorer sounding’ Bose portable speaker, which will also just work separately from your S1 Sonos system anyway. That’s not achieving anything other than cutting off your nose to spite your face.

It makes more sense to return the Roam and forget having a portable speaker altogether or just stick with the Roam running on S2 alongside your S1 system.

You would only need to add an Airplay2 capable device to your S1 system to be able to stream audio to both S1/S2 - and these things collectively make the Roam far more appealing than switching to a Bose portable speaker. 

Anyhow the decision is yours. 

Thank you Ken....you are of course correct, I should have made myself aware of this by accessing this information rather than relying on Sonos to highlight this prominently on their sales promotion for the SL.  Sonos being rather poor in their valuation of, you know, their customers.  I will be returning this product for a refund.  I will use the money to buy a decent blue tooth speaker from, probably, Bose

Addendum to above...I mean my original Sonos Move, (I referred to it as a Roam)

When the S1/S2 split occurred Sonos announced that all new products would be for S2 only - this was posted clearly on this forum, online and by the reporting media. There’s also this Sonos support document to show what works with S2, S1 or both Apps…

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786

The Sonos Move was manufactured/released prior to the S1/S2 split and so works with both Apps

The Roam was manufactured/released after the S1/S2 split and so works with the S2 App only. It also highlights this fact in the Sonos.com shop.

I would just either install the S2 App and run it alongside your existing S1 setup, which is what I do and use it as a portable speaker, or I guess you could perhaps return it to its place of purchase (if within terms/date), or sell it on, if you prefer to do any of those things instead.

Addendum to above...I mean my original Sonos Move, (I referred to it as a Roam)

My original Roam works perfectly fine in my "legacy system" with the S1 controller.  I have just received a Roam SL...this apparently will not.  I am pretty hacked off that Sonos have (in their opinion) updated a system such that those early adopters and supporters are now deemed legacy users.  I shall request a refund on return of this (to me) useless product.  I will of course never purchase a Sonos product again...nor, when the system finally conks out, will I replace it with another Sonos system.  So disappointing

Then explain how my move is on S1???

Because S1 actually knows what a Move is.  Roam was created after S2, so there is no way S1 knows what it is, and since S1 can’t be added to due to memory restrictions on the old devices, there’s no way of adding the Roam to S1.  

Thankfully I bought my Sonos roam from Costco - will take it back in 80 days.

Not worth the effort to upgrade to S2 when I have 3k invested in S1 products.

BTW - Sonos can fix this if they put customer satisfaction above the bottom line - my Sonos PlayBars is backward comparable on S1…just sayin.

According to your profile, you have quite a few products that only work on S2, not just the Roam. 

Sending mine back: my partner isn’t techy, and doesn’t understand why it won’t just work with the £1,000s of Sonia kit we have already.  Explained that, for it to work, we have to renew every bit of Sonos kit in the house.

and frankly, if I’m going to do that, why would I buy Sonos again?

I am not sure what you want Sonos to do.  The whole point of creating the S1 / S2 split was to allow product developments that were held back by needing to operate with the oldest products.  if the Roam had to be compatible with the ‘legacy’ devices, it wouldn’t be the Roam.

You cannot group the Roam with your existing devices but you don’t need to get rid of them.  Which Sonos products do you have?

Move was released before  the S1/S2 split., Roam was created after. What you get on S1 with Move is only what was capable at the time of the split, with  no feature improvements that came with S2. As well, Move and Roam do not have same set of features.

Sending mine back: my partner isn’t techy, and doesn’t understand why it won’t just work with the £1,000s of Sonia kit we have already.  Explained that, for it to work, we have to renew every bit of Sonos kit in the house.

I am not sure what you want Sonos to do.  The whole point of creating the S1 / S2 split was to allow product developments that were held back by needing to operate with the oldest products.  if the Roam had to be compatible with the ‘legacy’ devices, it wouldn’t be the Roam.

You cannot group the Roam with your existing devices but you don’t need to get rid of them.  Which Sonos products do you have?

Thankfully I bought my Sonos roam from Costco - will take it back in 80 days.

Not worth the effort to upgrade to S2 when I have 3k invested in S1 products.

BTW - Sonos can fix this if they put customer satisfaction above the bottom line - my Sonos PlayBars is backward comparable on S1…just sayin.

Changing all my connect amps is still too much for me at the moment so I'll stay with S1... And I still makes sense to be frustrated that new products are not compatible with the old system, and looking at the thread it seems like it irritates lots of people... 

But it seems you have already begun to do the switch, as your profile also lists the new Sonos Amp? That seems to contradict your earlier post too - you could easily split the C:A’s off to S1 and run everything else alongside on S2 and perhaps over-arch both setups with Airplay by leaving a ‘One’ in the S1 HH, at least until you migrate all to S2 - it’s probably far cheaper too than starting-over with a completely new system from a different manufacturer.

I won't get a roam for this reason, I understand that old devices can't run on the new system but the opposite is a bit strange and prevents people from buying the most recent Sonos products… just waiting for some of the equipment to let me down and move to a different system. Any suggestions welcome!

Most (almost all) of the Sonos products listed in your online profile here are S2 compatible - so what you’re actually stating here doesn’t make much sense.

Changing all my connect amps is still too much for me at the moment so I'll stay with S1... And I still makes sense to be frustrated that new products are not compatible with the old system, and looking at the thread it seems like it irritates lots of people... 

I won't get a roam for this reason, I understand that old devices can't run on the new system but the opposite is a bit strange and prevents people from buying the most recent Sonos products… just waiting for some of the equipment to let me down and move to a different system. Any suggestions welcome!

Most (almost all) of the Sonos products listed in your online profile here are S2 compatible - so what you’re actually stating here doesn’t make much sense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

And they’re not the only ones at it, too! Manufacturers of cars, computers, refrigerators, TV’s; they all do it. Must be a conspiracy.

Typical Sonos rip off. Nice sound, when it works, but appalling way to treat customers (and the environment), making products which need to be entirely replaced every few years. I think it’s disgusting.